Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Retorquing Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sf3r8z is an unknown quantity at this point
Retorquing Suspension

Some information I got from Honda said that I need to retorque the suspension on my 2008 Civic LX at 20,000 miles. Is this right? Never had to do this on any car I havve owned.
Old 09-06-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Retorquing Suspension

Originally Posted by sf3r8z
from Honda
What "from Honda"?
Your local dealer?

said that I need to retorque the suspension on my 2008 Civic LX at 20,000 miles. Is this right? Never had to do this on any car I havve owned.
Nope. Not part of the scheduled maintenance. Look in your owners manual....... Not unless there is a specific problem that can be addressed by performing such a procedure.

There is not normally any problem with suspension parts mysteriously loosening up after the factory builds the car. (Not saying the factory is 100% perfect, because they miss some stuff on occasion too.)

However, one Asian car line I worked with many moons ago had it as part of THEIR scheduled maintenance services, and some really did have issues with suspension parts loosening up on a regular basis. Mostly caused loud pop noises as parts shifted slightly under a load though.

HTH
Old 09-06-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

not really needed unless you road race (autocross), or drive like a monster around corners.
Old 09-07-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: suppliers

Spam link quote deleted.

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 09-07-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-07-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: suppliers

Originally Posted by ezone
Thanks. Spambot taken care of.
Old 08-13-2014
Registered!!

Comment regarding re-torqing suspension was based on a maintenance item at 48 months or 60,000 miles that was on a schedule provided by the dealer who sold me the car.
Old 08-13-2014

Updating the thread 2 years later? LOL

Yes it might be a good idea if you hear or feel suspension noises, but see if the service is mentioned in your owners manual.

The dealers' recommended maintenance list is usually, of course, designed to extract extra cash from your pocket. (Power steering fluid service every 20,000 miles? I think not. Fuel injector cleaning? I think not...not without just cause.)
Pay attention to the maintenance services listed in your owners manual.

Never had to do this on any car I havve owned.
Mazda had it listed as part of their checks during major maintenance.
Old 08-19-2014
Registered!!

Re: Power Steering Fluid

I take it that power steering fluid, not mentioned as a maintenance item in my manual never needs flushing. Right?
Old 08-19-2014

I've never seen it mentioned in the owners manual, and we seem to have very few issues with power steering in general.

However, one could probably suggest it as an "eventual" service, and you could DIY that: Drain and fill. Empty the reservoir (suck the fluid out with a turkey baster if you really wanted to). Refill with Honda Power Steering fluid. Run it and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times.. Repeat.

NO chemicals, no flushing by machine. Some flush setups push some universal red fluid that can't be proven compatible with Honda systems. (Hondas don't use ATF for steering fluid, but many others do.)

My dealer just added PS fluid to their services list.....but 20k seems like overkill in a big way IMO.

On most of the cars we can easily disconnect the return hose from the reservoir and route it to a bucket. Cork the hole, fill the reservoir, run the engine and dump fresh fluid through the system as a flush.