Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Replace stock suspension for smoother ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jungly is an unknown quantity at this point
Replace stock suspension for smoother ride?

I have a rebuilt 2009 civic coupe ex, and lately the ride is way to bumpy , you feel everything, it's like almost ridiculous. I jumped on my old beater Toyota to see if it was just me and its a smoother ride than the civic.

My question is, is all civics bumpy or should I send my car to dealership to have suspension checked. If they say somethings wrong then do I get stock shocks and suspension? Or are there after market shock suspension that gives me smoothest comfy ride? I don't lower my car, everything is stock just surprised that it's the bumpiest ride ever had.

Would using a pillow under seat help absorb the bumpyness? What brand aftermarket for non lowered suspension do u recommend?
Old 04-24-2011
Registered!!

Re: Replace stock suspension for smoother ride?

Here's an example , if you lean your head on head rest while driving it bounces non stop. And even if u don't after hour drive your eyes are tired from adjusting to constant eye movement of up down bumpiness
Old 04-24-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Really? My car is 11 years old and the suspension is still good. What exactly was rebuilt? It wouldn't hurt to have it checked. There could be something else at fault, but it does sound like the suspension. Have you pushed on each corner to see if it bounces more than once? If it does, then yeah, I'd get it replaced.
Old 04-24-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MelJ
Really? My car is 11 years old and the suspension is still good. What exactly was rebuilt? It wouldn't hurt to have it checked. There could be something else at fault, but it does sound like the suspension. Have you pushed on each corner to see if it bounces more than once? If it does, then yeah, I'd get it replaced.
i pushed down on front side where accident was, on each corner, i think problem is it doesnt bounce much, it stiff as a rock! but ill go and have it checked, it started getting worse since i went and had a full alignment done at a local shop - probably should have taken it to the dealer instead.

But in general you say civic's should be comfy ride with stock suspension? then ya ill take it to have it checked, cause its sooo bad ride now im thinking of selling it and know there's no way you guys would put up with it if this was the norm for them?
Old 04-24-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Heh. That's odd. I know the roads where I live are pretty terrible and my car rides fairly smooth aside from the tires that need to be replaced. It's best to get everything checked out before you start tossing money out. Is the car still under warranty? I know you said something about it being rebuilt, but if you can still get it checked out by Honda, I'd do that.
Old 04-24-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ same comment
Old 04-24-2011
Registered!!

Too Tall will become famous soon enoughToo Tall will become famous soon enough

I don't know how, but my guess is the suspension is not moving up and down like it is supposed to. It could be one wheel only. Perhaps the strut is frozen and not moving.
Old 04-24-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

civics are nowhere near as soft as other higher end cars even camry. and anything but stock shocks will be even worse of a ride.
Old 04-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

This is one reason why I would not buy a rebuilt, I'm suspecting they used cheap struts during the rebuild and that's why the ride is so rough. The solution is simple, go to a dealer and test drive another Civic to compare the rides.
Old 06-12-2011
Registered!!

RubyRed57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MelJ
... Is the car still under warranty? I know you said something about it being rebuilt, but if you can still get it checked out by Honda, I'd do that.
I would say it's a safe bet that ANY suspension pieces determined to be not right by the dealership's service department will be declared a wear issue and not covered by the Manufacturer's warranty. I would bet that they say you must have hit something or run too fast over too many bumps.
I have a 2010 Civic EX-L that rides like it has over 100,000 miles on the rear shocks. You can be sure that when it comes time for shocks OEM pieces will not be on my shopping list.
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

performanccivic is an unknown quantity at this point

A bit unusual that you find stock suspension too bumpy, unless you came from a Lexus.

It could be that shocks / suspension are worn, but unlikely on a 2009 model. How many miles have you put on the car?

What tire pressures are you running? High tire pressures can give a bumpier ride.
Old 06-14-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ don't worry, OP have not been in here for some time...
Old 08-18-2016
Registered!!

Big_C is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a 2008 with 175K+ miles and it feels like the ride has gotten much rougher lately. My tires are at 32 or 33 psi. Do the shocks wear out over time? Should I replace with OEM or is there an aftermarket product that will perform better?

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Yes rear shocks and front struts wear out especially after that many miles. See my " 06 EX Suspension Overhaul' using the search function.