Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

New Owner 2006 LX- Coupe......Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laxosser is an unknown quantity at this point
New Owner 2006 LX- Coupe......Now What?

Hi all,

Needing a little help here. Im looking into suspension kits and not quite sure what brands to be looking into. Atm everything is stock but i want that to change soon. I looked at TIEN products but they seem a little too expensive and probably more than i need.(side note this car will be driven in winter in the southern interior of bc) Also, i am looking at cold air intakes... the guys here in town say go INJEN. i am curious to see what you guys have to say. Advice Greatly Appreciated.
Old 08-14-2010
Registered!!

Re: New Owner 2006 LX- Coupe......Now What?

Seriously 2 weeks and no one has anything to say? Come on need some info and quick
Old 08-14-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

If you want coilovers then they are not going to be cheap. If you go with coilovers then I say that Tein or Progress would be a good setup. But if you dont want coilovers but just a drop then just pick up the tien s tech lowering springs and put them on your stock struts. Or you can also go with the tien s tech lowering springs and tokio blue struts.

And for the cold air intake injen is a good manufacturer. There intakes are pretty good but AEM is the other good one. Either one would be a good intake.
Old 08-14-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'd personally go with aem just because it has a better filter. And yea, suspension won't be cheap if you do it right.. The cheaper alternative would be what 02civicsi said, and that's getting springs ad struts, and even then, that'll run you ~$600+
Old 09-02-2010
Registered!!

Thanks, got some good knowledge here. I wanna do this right the first time. i may hold out and save a little extra to do a full tien set then any ideas what im looking at cost wise ? Where does eibach sit with you guys? Also is there any companies you would advise avoiding?
Old 09-06-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

eibach's seems like a good brand to me. I've never personally used them, but haven't really heard anything bad, at least none I can recall.

As for companies to avoid.. really just stick to name brands. Sure, it'll cost a bit more, but they've done their r&d to develop the equipment. And as far as suspension goes, it's 1 of 2 links between your car and the road, so I wouldn't skimp on it, but that's just me.

Check out dezod.com and thmotorsports.com for the best prices. You can probably even PM them (usernames dezod and truehonda, respectively) to see what they can do for you. I know Paul (dezod) from dezod.com still stops by once in a while. I haven't seen Eddie (truehonda) from thmotorsports.com in a long *** time. Both sites still have hella good prices nonetheless, probably some of the best you'll find online.

edit: dezod.com doesn't list any 8thgen stuff on his site, but you can probably still e-mail or PM him to see if he'd be able to get it for you I posted in this thread automatically assuming you drove a 7thgen (01-05) until I re-read it all.
Old 09-07-2010
Registered!!

DevinDTA is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to hijack you thread Laxosser, but I didn't see the point in starting a new thread when this topic is already being discussed.

From everything I've read on this forum it seems(correct me if I'm wrong) coilovers are the best and will give the best ride. You can also go struts and springs as well, which is the cheaper route and gives a decent ride but not as smooth as coilovers would. Both setups would require a camber kit and alignment shortly after installation. If all that is correct, then I'm wondering, since all I'm really looking for is a drop, if there would be any other benefit to coilovers other than a bit more comfortable ride? I'm not looking to race my car or anything so even though I wouldn't mind spending $$$ on a quality product, I also don't want to spend more on a product that provides features that I won't ever use.
Old 09-07-2010
Administrator
Administrator

not necessarily. I was content with my tein s-tech/tokico blues setup. It was a really nice setup, actually. Coilovers, sure, may give you a "better" setup because it's all designed around each other (dampering rates, spring rates, etc), but coilovers really give you more adjustability, in the case you would want adjustability (height, possibly dampering, etc). If you don't care about adjustability, then I'd stick with a reputable spring/shock combo

I only switched to a full coilover setup because I couldn't pass the deal I got (tein ss-p for $1250 shipped across the country)

that's my 2 cents and outlook on it.. I have no basis of validity for the ride being better with coilovers versus a spring/shock combo.

Adjusting these things is kind of a pain in the ***, though.. I have to set aside the day (or if I start early enough, the better part of the day) to do it (remove each shock, adjust, measure, tighten, check against other shock, reinstall, check, remove and repeat as necessary, blah blah blah..), then schedule an alignment at the only shop I'd trust aligning a lowered car here in Vegas..
Old 09-07-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

I agree with riceboy because really there is no difference in the ride. I have had springs/aftermarket struts, springs and stock struts and coilovers and there was really no difference in the ride. Either way you go and the lower you go the ride is not going to be nice.
Old 09-09-2010
Registered!!

DevinDTA is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for the clarification on that!

If I were to go with maybe 1" - 1.3" drop, what is the likelihood that I'll end up scratching/denting the underside of my car? Obviously I would try to be careful on speed bumps, etc. but I figure it may take a minute for me to get used to being that much closer to the ground. I guess I'm kind of cautious about doing this just because the two people I know that are really into cars won't drop theirs because they don't want to risk damaging the oil pan and other parts on speed bumps.
Old 09-09-2010
Administrator
Administrator

The bottom back of tip on my exhaust is scraped up a bit.. Nothing really noticeable until you have it above your head. With a 1-1.3" drop, you'd prolly only see that kind of problem with steep *** driveways and parking lot entrances. Oh, and monster speed bumps if you ever encounter any, and I mean gi-friggin-normous ones.

You'll be fine with a nice subtle drop like that. I think that 1-1.3" a little bit higher than what I have my coilovers currently set at.