Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

Underdash lights issue (2008 civic coupe)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
_Christopherrr_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Underdash lights issue (2008 civic coupe)

So, I've had underdash lights for about 2 years now and I finally ran into a puzzling problem. Last night I got into my car and realized the underdash lights weren't lighting. So, I went into my "rear" accessory outlet (I think that's what it's called) and tried messing with the wires. They went on, off, on, then off but I swear I heard a noise (like a fuse blowing). I figured no big deal since this has happened to me before.

Today I checked fuse #28 and it seemed fine, but to be sure I replaced it. Lights still didn't work. Then, I replaced the fuse in the actual light's connector. Lights still didn't work. Just to be sure it wasn't the lights I removed the connector from the "rear" outlet and I plugged it into my dashes 12v accessory. Lights worked!

I know it's not my led lights that's the problem, it's my "rear" accessory outlet. To clarify I think the "rear" outlet is right where your right elbow would rest if you're driving and putting your arm down by the cup holders. I looked in my car's manual and that should be fuse #28. Anyone know if I'm wrong? Had this same problem? Any solutions?
Old 12-12-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Underdash lights issue (2008 civic coupe)

Fuses# 28 (rear socket), 29 (front socket), 35 (feed to relay coils)

Each accessory socket uses its own power relay.

I'd first get a voltmeter and see that the socket has
a) power, and
b) ground.

Then go from there.

Anything happened since the last time you saw them working? Center console been removed or anything?
Old 12-14-2014
Registered!!

I haven't looked at #35 so I'll give that a try. But I know for sure nothing was moved around like that. They were working when I went into my gf's house then weren't when I went to my car. The lights shut off for good when I started to move the adapter in the outlet, which has happened before, but it was the fuse in the lights that blew not the outlet
Old 12-14-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but it was the fuse in the lights that blew not the outlet
So the outlet still works with any other accessory plug?
Old 12-14-2014

Fuse 35 blown would kill both power outlets IIRC.

Voltmeter, check both power and ground at the rear power outlet.
Old 12-14-2014
Registered!!

Fuses 28, 29, and 35 are good. When you say they both accessory outlets have their own power relay is that why my front outlet could be working but my back isn't? Could I have to replace the relay or the accessory outlet if that's the case?
Old 12-14-2014

You should TEST each part of the system to figure out why it doesn't work.

Voltmeter testing, check for both power and ground at the rear power outlet. Which one is missing?
Old 12-14-2014
Registered!!

Just getting a basic volt/multimeter from autozone will do the trick? New to all of this so bear with me haha. How would I go about checking the accessory outlet? Just plugging the meter into the outlet?
Old 12-14-2014

I'd actually use a test light if I were checking it.

The center pin in the outlet is 12v + (positive).
The outer shell is 12v - (negative)
You need to be able to test each part independently........because if you just connect to both at the same time (as you described) you can't tell which ONE part is missing.

How did you check the fuses? A fuse can LOOK good but be blown.
Did you try swapping the fuses 28 and 29?