Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

Avoid Sylvania XtraVision in your DRL/High Beam bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Avoid Sylvania XtraVision in your DRL/High Beam bulbs

My factory bulbs lasted 4 years/ 75k miles and the glass stayed clear.... these have a dark rusty color buildup inside the glass after 2 MONTHS/1500miles.

And if you order bulbs through Honda you can only get Sylvania, and not Stanley bulbs.

They suggested running the high beams....how the hell are you supposed to accomplish that feat ?? And why did original bulbs remain clear for 4 years ??
Old 02-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Avoid Sylvania XtraVision in your DRL/High Beam bulbs

I have been running Philips 9003 X-treme Power Headlight Bulb since Jan 2011 with no issues. Great bulbs. Brighter than the Sylvania's.

Only $33 back then. Looks like $40 now.
Old 02-18-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Were the originals Stanley?

Were your new bulbs sealed, never touched by (human?) fingers?

I was gonna say Osram was always top notch back when I dealt with Euro.....but it looks like they own Sylvania (US market).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osram_Sylvania
Old 02-19-2014

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
I have been running Philips 9003 X-treme Power Headlight Bulb since Jan 2011 with no issues. Great bulbs. Brighter than the Sylvania's.

Only $33 back then. Looks like $40 now.
Are you running them as DRL bulbs though ?? These bulbs are very similar to original but the DRL is making them brown very quickly.

Originally Posted by ezone
Were the originals Stanley?

I cannot say, do remember they were still clear inside, the glass (on sides) was deformed/bubbled above the filament somewhat and may have been what killed one. I have always been impressed with the bulbs that Honda uses. I'm running my 2010 rear bulbs to failure just to see how long they make it.

Were your new bulbs sealed, never touched by (human?) fingers?

Yes, by the book with top notch tech

I was gonna say Osram was always top notch back when I dealt with Euro.....but it looks like they own Sylvania (US market).

Osram Sylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, nothing stays the same these days.

Here is a quote from Sylvania:
Browning occurs when the lamps are powered for prolonged periods of time at reduced voltages ~ as in the case of a DRL. We recommend that these lamps be operated at a minimum of 6.4 volts for the halogen regenerative cycle to be effective. If the bulb isn't supplied sufficient voltage, the bromine inside the lamp will deposit on the bulb wall and cause a brown stain. Eventually the brown stain will heat up during the full lamp operation (high beam use) and may cause the glass to bubble and in some cases shatter. In the case of extreme browning, the bulbs should be replaced with new bulbs which should be powered in full high beam mode on a more regular basis to prevent future bromine build up.

Regards,

Customer Service"

"
Old 02-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CraigW
Are you running them as DRL bulbs though ?? These bulbs are very similar to original but the DRL is making them brown very quickly.

"
No, I am running them as regular headlights. Sounds like the ones you are using are not effective at lower voltages.
Sorry.
Old 02-19-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Call customer assistance!
Old 02-20-2014

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
No, I am running them as regular headlights. Sounds like the ones you are using are not effective at lower voltages.
Sorry.
They are awesome bulbs, up to the point they browned up. Very close to oem. Does seem strange original were fine after 4 years of cooking half brightness.

Call customer assistance!
I did, they sent me the info on browning I posted.... and the bulbs from Honda are now from Sylvania.

ezone, can you check with your parts dept about any remaining
33115-S84-A11 bulbs that they may have left. They are the Stanley bulbs. I would appreciate it. Need to find something that will work.
Old 02-20-2014

Originally Posted by CraigW
ezone, can you check with your parts dept about any remaining
33115-S84-A11 bulbs that they may have left. They are the Stanley bulbs. I would appreciate it. Need to find something that will work.
That # supersedes to A01, the Sylvania 9005 bulb. No A11 on our shelves. Sorry.
Old 02-20-2014

That # supersedes to A01, the Sylvania 9005 bulb. No A11 on our shelves. Sorry.
Called our dealer, and the one 45 miles away, no go on the A11 Stanley bulbs.

Not even going to try another Sylvania unit....even from Honda.

Thanks for checking.
Old 02-22-2014

Just got to look....Mine have a brownish color on them.
Old 02-22-2014

Eh, Houston?

Name:  Aa9tfz6.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  739.3 KB
Old 02-23-2014

Certainly NOT the crystal clear quartz glass they started out with.
Old 02-26-2014

The xtravisions have been returned back to advance, and new plain jane Wagner BP9005s are in place.

Let the long term testing begin.
Old 12-03-2014

Update: Wagner BP9005s have gotten extremely blackened inside glass and will need replacement very soon. Stayed fine for quite a while, now look terrible.

The search continues.....
Old 12-04-2014

That was fast....
Old 12-04-2014

That was fast....
I'd say, they were great for a while, had not checked them lately but was walking toward car with drl on and they looked strange.

Now, not sure what to buy.

2-25-14 -- 12-3-14 13k miles.
Old 12-04-2014
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the heads up...
but why not just use the O.E.M from Honda..?
Old 12-04-2014

^^^ Because Honda switched from Stanley as the supplier to Sylvania. I tried to find some leftover Stanley bulbs with no luck

The Sylvania Xtra-visions were in a very short time before getting brown buildup.

Original bulbs lasted over 4 years.

Have a set of Philips on order and they list them as being DRL (not that that makes any difference likely)

Edit: Put the Philips VisionPlus bulbs in place today. Let the long term test begin.

Last edited by CraigW; 12-07-2014 at 02:51 PM.