Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

Ceiling light and trunk light problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pooyad is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Ceiling light and trunk light problem

Hi, I have recently bought a honda civic 2006 vti. My ceiling light is not working and my trunk light won't turn off. I have checked the ceiling light bulb and it was ok. It didnt trun on even i put it in on position. I also checked the fuse number 22 and it was ok too. My spotlight or some may say map lights are working properly. Can you please help me to see what is the problem?

Last edited by Pooyad; 11-15-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-15-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ceiling light and trunk light problem

I'm looking at diagrams for US cars, we don't have anything that says vti here.
I'm assuming the car has a normal lid, not a hatchback.

Trunk light stuck on: Light switch is embedded in the trunklid latch. I would start looking there.

Dome light: HOW did you check the bulb? Can't rely on a visual, you must make it light up to verify it is truly good. Use the car battery and jumper wire.

Or test the sockets with a 12v test light to check for power and ground.

IF the bulb is truly good: Does it work at all when installed in the housing on the roof? Switch positions are OFF, DOOR, and ON...Does it work in the ON position? (Ground is supplied through one of the mounting screws in this position.)

Many controls are involved. Shares power supply with the map lights, but in the DOOR position its ground is controlled by the MICU.

HTH
Old 11-15-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for your response. It is a honda civic sedan, but it also comes with vti.
I have bought new bulb because first I thought that the problem is from the light, but that one didn't work either. The problem is that it doesn't work even in ON position. So I am thinking may be the problem is from the positive wire going to the dome light. As I said the map lights are working fine.

About the trunk light which doesn't turn off, you mean that the problem is with the switch in the trunklid latch?
Old 11-15-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pooyad
Thanks for your response. It is a honda civic sedan, but it also comes with vti.
I have bought new bulb because first I thought that the problem is from the light, but that one didn't work either. The problem is that it doesn't work even in ON position. So I am thinking may be the problem is from the positive wire going to the dome light. As I said the map lights are working fine.
A simple test light could show if the light socket is missing its power or its ground. That would be a step toward eliminating guesswork. Drop the assembly out of the roof (2 screws) and check its connector, it may just be unplugged. Test at that connector too, if necessary.

Is there any evidence that someone has had the headliner out? Aftermarket sunroof, or anything like that?

Real wiring problems are pretty rare. Human error causes the majority of the problems I see.

About the trunk light which doesn't turn off, you mean that the problem is with the switch in the trunklid latch?
That is where I would start. Unplug the switch, see if the light goes out. Then see why the switch isn't tripping off when the lid latches. Work the latch with a screwdriver to simulate a closed lid.
Seems like I have seen a couple that needed the lever bent a little so the switch could activate, but I can't remember for certain.

HTH
Old 11-16-2012
Registered!!

Okay, the trunk light problem is solved. As you said it was with in the trunklid switch.

About the dome light, there wasn't any evidence that someone has had the headliner. I dropped the assembly out of the roof and checked the wires. The plug was okay and they were connected to the bulb pins. I also check the voltage across the bulb when the switch was in ON position nothing. Any idea?
Old 11-16-2012

Check for 12v in the connector on one of the wires (light blue wire).
(If you have 12v here, the problem is the lamp assembly or the bulb since you say it doesn't even work in the ON position, and assuming it is screwed to the ceiling properly.)

And check for ground on the other (pink) wire in the connector (need to check when the dome is supposed to be turned on by the MICU though, otherwise it won't show anything).

I also check the voltage across the bulb when the switch was in ON position nothing.
If you were checking this while the assembly was not screwed into the roof, it can't work---because it gets its ground through one of the screws when the switch is in the ON position.