Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > OFF TOPIC > Off Topic
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Experience Used CarsGarageVendor Directory
Welcome to Honda Civic Forum

Off Topic "If you don't like your job, you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way."

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2002   #1 (permalink)
Registered!!

WesDLuke is an unknown quantity at this point
Is getting a lawyer worth it? (for speeding ticket)

I know itís worth fighting a ticket and all, but is it something you can do on your own?

Would it be worth it to get a lawyer?

I would just pay the fine, but I don't want a point on my record and raised insurance.

Can you go to traffic school after you pay the fine? Say like I got a ticket in June, could I still go to traffic school to clean that point?

Thanks for the info

Here is the story if you care to read:
I was driving from Detroit to D.C. and got a ticket for going 80 something in a 65. I didn't know any better back then, and hoped that it would not get back to my home state (California) so I just paid the 155 buck fine.
Well I didn't learn my lesson; a couple a weeks ago I got a ticked for going 91 in a 65. I have learned my lesson now. Anyway, I think I can fight it because he only followed me for 200yds. I was trying to get around this toe truck that was kicking up rocks (he didn't have flaps, and it was in a construction zone) so I was trying to get around him as fast as possible. I could actually hear the rocks hitting my car, and have new marks on my paint from it. So as I am passing the toe truck, a car practically swerved in behind me, and so I sped up to get out of his way, and the next thing I know, he turns his lights on and its a cop, so I think he wants me to get out of his way, being that he swerved in behind me, so I moved over in front of the toe truck and he keeps behind me; thatís when I knew the lights were for me. Like I said I think he just got on the freeway and saw an easy ticket to help meet is quota. Had he paced me properly, he would have only paced me at 80 max, because that is how fast I used to drive, but it could have been less. But then again, I am not totally sure when the cop saw me. You think the judge will not put the point on my record if that is my case? Like I said I don't mind paying the fine, after all - that is why he pulled me over in the first place. Anyway, thatís my story.

WesDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002   #2 (permalink)
. . . The Master Debater . . .

amhtown01 has a spectacular aura about amhtown01 has a spectacular aura about amhtown01 has a spectacular aura about
I dont think its worth getting a lawyer because:
1. the cop doesn't care if tow trucks kick up dust that will scratch your car
2. you were doin 91 on a 65

if a cop follows you at 91mph even for a 1 sec on a 65 zone...u WILL be pulled over! It doesn't matter how long or how far he has to follow you.

I think you can pay the fine and go to traffic school so it wont be on your record, or some community service.

Sorry man, Larry H. Parker isn't gonna help you today.
amhtown01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002   #3 (permalink)
Registered!!

Travii is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Travii
No lawyer is going to help you. Your best chance is to plead your case to the judge and maybe he will let you off, if not traffic school. You would have to ask them at the court house, but I don't think so since it states that you have a certaint time period to take traffic school.
Travii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002   #4 (permalink)
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Elite Send a message via AIM to Elite
Lol [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] I got a ticket for speeding 70+ on 40 mph zone, he didn't even follow me I pulled over before he followed me, like I said he busted his lights when I was pulled over, cuz he had me on laser [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG] newayz he don't have to follow you to get a ticket. It sucks cuz I dunno it just does.
Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002   #5 (permalink)
Registered!!

WesDLuke is an unknown quantity at this point

I know the cop can pull me over all he wants, but

in court don't you have to have a reading from a radar gun or a pace of 1/4 to 1/2 mile?

I thought I heard somewhere that even though you are clearly speeding, the cop has to make 'sure' that you really are. Something that will hold up it court.

I just thought that the judge might go easy on me because I have a new car and I didn't want chips in the paint, and I would not have contunied to speed once I had passed him.

Sure fine me for speeding, but don't put a point on my record.

WesDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002   #6 (permalink)
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to YS
i just got a ticket too 60@45 zone [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] .... can i take a traffic school next year for this ticket?? cause i allready took a traffic school for my ticket last may '02 ....

$uCkssssssssss[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
YS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002   #7 (permalink)
Registered!!

FroggyLx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FroggyLx
Where I live there's a lawyer that you can take your tickets to, $60 (per violation) he gets them dismissed 90% of the time, and gets you defensive driving 9% of the time. The best part is you don't have to do anything, just bring him the ticket and the money and forget about it, he'll goto court for you and let you know the results. I've take about 15 tickets to him and all them have been dismissed except for 2 (one got me defensive driving).
FroggyLx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002   #8 (permalink)
OsOBaNNeD

OsOBooSTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to OsOBooSTeD Send a message via Yahoo to OsOBooSTeD
lol... ive had my license suspended 3 times 6 month period shots... and ive had it revoked once... all in the lovely state of NY.... and all for speeding... I say GET THE LAWYER.... i have a firm of people... usually costs 75-150 $ per visit per ticket... so its really not that bad... i mean traffic court is supposed to be the worst court.. all the judge does is listen to the cop.. not you... lawyers get you out of almost 90 percent of traffic tickets or alteast gets them changed for a lesser charge example: seatbeat, equiment violation. Thanks to me learning all this about 6 months after i had lost my license.. oh BTW.. ill be 21 in feb.. and i currently have a florida state license DUE to the fact that i had too many tickets and NY insurance is like 16 thousand a year for my slow civic... ahahhahahahah .. Florida I pay 16 hundred a year now [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG] Point is ... get the lawyer.. you dont want to lose your license or have to pay for the insurance increase.

edit "example: seatbeat" <--- lol seatbeat haha seatbelt sorry[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
OsOBooSTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002   #9 (permalink)
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to all CarbonFly is a name known to all CarbonFly is a name known to all CarbonFly is a name known to all CarbonFly is a name known to all CarbonFly is a name known to all CarbonFly is a name known to all
Send a message via ICQ to CarbonFly Send a message via AIM to CarbonFly Send a message via MSN to CarbonFly Send a message via Yahoo to CarbonFly
Lawyers and judges know each other. They work deals with each other. I bet a lawyer could really help you out in this one.

CarbonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002   #10 (permalink)
Registered!!

TwilightX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TwilightX
In future reference, you wouldn't be pulled over if you slowed down, which is technically what you're supposed to do. You're lucky you weren't nailed with more, like excessive speed in a construction zone, reckless endangerment, etc...

I don't think the judge would look at it too favorably if you say you were speeding to prevent your car from getting dinged...but beats me, I've never had that experience, so I can only make conjecture...

You might want to try the lawyer...but it's a pretty tough case. Even if you weren't followed, you could still get hit with the violation. AND an officer doesn't neccesarily have to use a radar or laser to give you a speeding ticket - they have a general speeding ticket or something like that which covers the officer's best judgement. Either way, it never hurts to try and get it reduced...I just think it's going to be tough.

T-X
TwilightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002   #11 (permalink)
Registered!!

drbombay is an unknown quantity at this point
it's not going to help, you might of been going to fast for traffic school too. go if you can, or pay.
drbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
91mph , attorney , california , cost , diego , forum , gun , lawyer , radar , san , speeding , ticket , tickets , traffic , vista , worth