Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Strange sound from new air intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
patrickross2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Strange sound from new air intake

Hey guys, so i just got a short ram air intake, And after installing it I took it out on the road, sounded just like normal while accelerating gently and cycling through the gears. However when I put my foot down a little more, in the lower end of the revs it was very loud while accelerating. Not like loud air sucking, and didn't sound like any kind of leak. Just like a loud engine would sound as if i had an aftermarket exhaust. Just wondering if this is normal. Throttle feels a little more responsive than it did before. This is a 99 civic so I also have a small crack in my exhaust manifold like most people tend to get, could it just be the crack worsening? Any ideas appreciated.
Old 02-27-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strange sound from new air intake

Intake will make engine sound louder
Old 02-27-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The stock intake ductwork is designed to muffle all the noises and be very quiet.

With the aftermarket intake, you get to hear every bit of the intake sounds. It's normal.
Old 02-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like a Hover Vac ..That is to give the false allusion of more power.... The original system on most Honda have acoustic chambers hanging off that actually do not restrict all that much. Impressive at your next race to the next red light and you don't even have to speed.

Overall, the system except maybe at WOT while silencing and since the intake is just atmospheric pressure pushing in just like in you lungs, it works pretty well. The most restriction is the throttle body and those stock ducts are larger then it.