Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Light Weight worries

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavy honda is an unknown quantity at this point
Light Weight worries

Hello Guys I'm new on here, and I'm also new to the Honda club. I recently picked up a completely untouched grandma's grocery getter 2002 Honda Civic lx from a dealership in bloomingburg, Ny. The 1.7l non vtec, and since then I've owned the car the past two month I have done tint and put the oem styled spoiler on the vehicle. But lately I've been hearing this noise come to find out that it's my throw out bearing. Now I'm no clutch expert, so I went out and bought an Exedy clutch kit. That consist of everything I'll be needing to make the happen. But in the kit it came with a lightweight flywheel. The flywheel is said to weigh 8.6lbs. My worries besides the drivability which I'll grow to get use too is will this flywheel create problems such as "idle control; and or throw on a check engine light" being that it is from what Ive read 10lbs lighter than my stock clutch. I've driven many cars with a light clutch and have always loved it. But to me it won't be worth it if it's going to create problems. If anyone could help ease and or confirm my suspicions I'd appreciate it. Thankyou for reading
Old 07-03-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Light Weight worries

Shouldn't cause any problems. You'll probably find you're likely to stall the car more often when you're first getting used to it, that's about it.

I've been running an 11lb flywheel (ACT Streetlight) on my 2002 ex with absolutely zero problems for the last... 11 years.
Old 07-04-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

rev quicker
loses some torque (which is exactly what the heavier weight is supposed to do - the heavier, the less it want to stop
Old 07-04-2016
Registered!!

Alright, thanks for your help. I'll post letting you guys know how it all goes.
Old 01-01-2017
Registered!!

Well I finally got some time on my hands over the weekend and put the lightweight flywheel in and what a difference. My vehicle now shifts smoother and is just a tad more snappy at lower revs. I highly would recommend I to anyone else.
Old 01-02-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

You'll be fine.

I daily an 8.5 pound fly with a 6 puck un-sprung clutch.

No CELs
idles normally

I do stall it about 3 times a month, lol. But that's only when im sloppy with the gas on slow take offs.

But that is really the clutch not the fly wheel. Because without springs to account for sloppy rev matching you basically have a clutch that is either on, or off. With a regular sprung clutch if you suck at rev matching/accelerator control it will chug along until you give it more gas. with the un-sprung it stalls.
Old 01-03-2017
Registered!!

Gotcha, I've personally noticed that myself. I have to give it a higher rev now for a smoother start. I was recommended bya friend to get the exedy kit and in which I did and I'm vary impressed with the performance and quality so far.
Old 01-03-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

It's fun right! =D
Old 01-03-2017
Registered!!

It truly is, I typically get it going around 15 to 2 grand now and it's a lot more snappy. A lot easier to play around with.