Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Weight reduction

lol
Old 01-11-2009
Registered!!

EM2 RYDER is an unknown quantity at this point

has anyone here removed their a/c because i was thinking about it since i never use it, its kind of pointless. But another thing is remove or keep your windsheild washer empty
Old 01-11-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^yes, people on this forum have. and its not worth it.
Old 01-12-2009
Registered!!

D16Fiend is an unknown quantity at this point

is the ac compressor ran on a seperate v belt? 96-00 ex
Old 01-12-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i think so, but removing the belt does nothing. when the compressor is off, it does not steal power from the engine. it only robs power when turned on.
Old 01-12-2009
Registered!!

D16Fiend is an unknown quantity at this point

very true. but the pulley on the crank robs power. weight is significantly amplified when it is in rotation. its just physics. plus engine response is improved when external weight like that is taken off. im just curious. pennsylvania. no need for a/c, plus it doesnt work.
Old 01-12-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

have a machanic just take it off then, its a very complicated process. you may even be able to sell the working pieces. but it has to be taken off properly not just unbolting parts.
Old 01-13-2009

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^i was watching my mech change my timing belt, Power steering belt, AC belt. im sure if you just cut the AC belt then take off the crank, it should be no problem.

but then agian, i was only speculating.
Old 01-13-2009
Premium Member

i was talking more about removing the entire ac system, so it would be like it never came with it.
Old 01-13-2009

oh ic, i saw the previos comment about the weight of the crank and i was just thinking "cut that belt off!"
Old 07-03-2010
Premium Member

just wanted to bump the newest thread on this topic to add some stuff ive been working on.

-just replaced 5 lbs oem trunk cardboard piece which was warped and sagging already after a year. since i never use the trunk, i opted for a piece of R-TECH styrofoam rigid insulation with plastic side wraps. it is bendable but still mostly straight. it sags less than the oem cardboard and sits slightly higher. i got the thinnest version they had, which was 2x thicker than oem and actually looks better with the carpet pad over it. weight for the styrofoam, practically 0 lbs.i just cant carry anything on top of the carpet, its just for looks. but i can still load up the bottom where the spare tire was. and all the back seat and front seat areas. i almost never need the trunk.

-took out most of my system including amp (8 lbs), alpine deck (3 lbs), and wiring (3 lbs), but left the speakers in case i ever change my mind. i have a metra dash trim kit and a honda single din block plate that i modded to cover the hole. looks really nice and i need to get some pics up later. no more worries about theft, remembering to remove the face and finding a place to put it, distractions while driving, etc. and i can really hear whats going on with the car and outside noises too.

other things ive done,

-remove washer tank and tubing (10 lbs with full fluid, now 0)

-removed all the stock intake brackets, fuse box bracket, radio bracket (2-4 lbs)

-lighter rims (13.6 lbs instead of 18 lbs steelies)

-no spare tire, tools, or jack

-replaced oem carpet with lightweight carpet pad and carpet (5-10 lbs savings)

-removed all exhaust heatshields (except cat shield) maybe 5 lbs and no more rattles

-removed trunk tar pads and dynamat, resprayed trunk floor

-removed lots of moonroof non-essential hardware (plastic covers, sun shield, wind deflector, etc) for prolly 8 lbs and still have fully functioning moonroof. i think it looks better now actually with less plastic junk.

-no coins, just paper money in ashtray

-aftermarket intake and header, prolly saved some weight over stock. still need to go back to oem exhaust cause it was much lighter.

stuff ive added ->honda full lip kit (unknown weight, but required to cover major damages), hid headlights (hid ballasts, heavier projectors, and halogen ballasts for hi beams), rsr exhaust i need to dump soon, fog lights, dc metal oil cap and battery tie quite heavier than plastic ones, etc.

but i think im moving along in the right direction. still have full interior and its hard to tell anythings been removed. ive been very careful selecting stuff i never use or that wont be noticable.
Old 07-03-2010
Premium Member

bump for some pics. the plate is just being held on from the back with 3m windoweld sealer and is completely removable if needed.

Name:  nrbophopcvc-1.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  nrbophopcvc-2.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  50.6 KB
Old 07-04-2010

if u strip ur trunk, take ur seats out and i mean EVERYTHING in back, u will shave off 131lbs.

i just to re-adjust my rear coilovers about an inch just to compromise for teh weight loss.
Old 07-04-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry gearbox but to me this does not add up... I understand a lighter car is a more efficient car but when your taking functionality out of a DD it kind of kills the purpose. It's not like your racing this thing and your already losing a lot with the automatic transmission. I don't understand what kind of benefits you would gain from having paper money only in the change tray as opposed to a few coins. It's going a bit overboard if you ask me. Taking the radio out and losing some of your trunk space is losing functionality (I understand you don't use the trunk or radio often) That being said, since I haven't done much research on the subject of how much you actually save MPG wise. Is there a big difference with that stuff removed? Almost seems like taking all the fun out of the car
Old 07-04-2010
Premium Member

well to me, i wasnt using those things to begin with. so no loss. and the radio i took out more for safety (so i pay attention to driving) than the 3 lbs of weight which is nothing. the coins weighed more than radio, and they just sit there. i still have full interior and will not be removing any rear seats or anything like that. most of the plastic pieces are light enough that it wont add up to much. the car already sucks at road noise and last thing i need is more lol. but the most fun thing about my car is actually driving it, so i guess everyones different. some stuff may sound like its overboard, but to me everything adds up. few lbs here, few lbs there, pretty soon you removed 20 lbs. and like i mentioned, its all stuff i havent used and dont plan to. by removing the washer fluid stuff which i havent sprayed since 2008, i saved some weight and made more space for my hids which i really enjoy at night. radio i havent used in 3 months and started to enjoy the quiet so i took that out. coins just sat there like a collection, and last time i needed coins for a meter was 2007. the moonroof stuff always bothered me because i never like the shade closed, so i took it out. made the moonroof look 10% bigger with less clutter. and if i get a flat, i just call my insurance towing service which gets paid for but never used. i would never drive on an 8 yr old spare to begin with, esp not on the freeway. thats just asking for a crash. so yeah its all about what you think is essential or not. for me, my car is still 100% functional for my needs and looks normal inside to others too. hey maybe next time i drive a friend around we will actually talk instead of listening to radio.

oh yeah i remembered some more things.

-removed 5th rear seatbelt and hardware since it would always rattle nonstop, and i would never carry more than 4 total passengers anyway for safety reasons. and the car would barely move. that stuff was actually pretty heavy with the seatbelt assembly and buckle combined.

-removed some other stuff like trunk keyhole lock assembly in the rear deck, the vent flap, etc.

Last edited by gearbox; 07-04-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-04-2010

when i shaved off 131lbs from my rear, it dramatically changed how my car drove (its my DD). especially when you only have 127hp, it makes a difference.

yet, it is very loud driving at nights. you hear everything back there since there is no sound dampening.

but now as i am getting older, all that extra noise is bugging me and i want a quiet car again. so i will putting all my backseat and all that trunk stuff back in.