DIY 02 Upper Grill Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005
"You leave me in the trenches taking Grenades, John"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stachmo is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY 02 Upper Grill Removal

Does anyone know how to remove the upper grill on an 02 coupe.
I've tried undoing the 4 screws on the black part thats attached to the top of the grill but the rest seems to be held down by something...is this just glue? or is it a bolt I need to unscrew. I plan on getting a new grill to replace this and I was just wondering so I'd know what I was doing.
Old 01-14-2005
Registered!!

Pb4uGo is an unknown quantity at this point
You will need to remove the front bumper and undo the remaining clips on the bottom part of the upper grill.

Should have bumper removal in the DIY section.
Old 01-14-2005
Registered!!

isuzu5000 will become famous soon enoughisuzu5000 will become famous soon enough
i just popped min off...it'll take a little bit of pulling and wiggling. but do be carefull
Old 01-14-2005
Sweetest Dude on 7th Gen

xX03EXx will become famous soon enoughxX03EXx will become famous soon enough
It is just held in by screws, nothing else, double check to make sure all of them are out, then tug at it
Old 01-14-2005
TAQUITOS!!!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
yeah there are screws...i dont know how some of these people get it off...maybe they're thinking of the radiator cover?...but the grill where the honda emblem is is screwed on as state above.
Old 01-14-2005
Remebers the old days

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light
there are also 4 clips under it in the inside of the bumper. same as under the car.
Old 01-14-2005
Registered!!

twix4o8 is an unknown quantity at this point
^^yea just what he said the clips are kinda hard to take off theyre like plastic popup clips same as the one attaching the bumper on the car i had to take off the bumper to remove them and i have a 02 coupe.
Old 01-15-2005
Sweetest Dude on 7th Gen

xX03EXx will become famous soon enoughxX03EXx will become famous soon enough
Oh, my bad, I didn't think he was having trouble taking the bumper off, I thought he took the bumper off but was trying to get the grille out of the bumper. Either way I did mine so long ago I forget what held it in haha. I thought it was just screws
Old 01-15-2005
Registered!!

01-BLUEBird is an unknown quantity at this point
you got to pop the little screw from the center of it and them take the other piece out. youll break the screw if you just pull it out. Get a screwdriver and pop the middle screw out then take the other part. i broke so many of them. now i know but its kinda late.
Old 01-15-2005

No, I havent tried taking the bumper off yet...is it absolutely necessary to take the bumper off?
Old 01-15-2005
Registered!!

Jeff B has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Unhappy

Originally Posted by 01-BLUEBird
you got to pop the little screw from the center of it and them take the other piece out. youll break the screw if you just pull it out. Get a screwdriver and pop the middle screw out then take the other part. i broke so many of them. now i know but its kinda late.
lol, on my 01 coupe half of those pop out things broke when I went to take my bumper off. I was even doing it the right way too. The plastic was just brittel and the screw driver would just break off the whole top part of the tab and then the only way to get it out was to just rip it out.
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

crazyspikey is an unknown quantity at this point
you have to take off the entire front bumper in order for you to remove the front grill
Old 01-16-2005
Go Team Venture!

againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
lay on the ground infront of yer car.. there are either 4 or 5 10mm bolts in the bottom... undo those.. there are also 5 or 6 of those plastic push clips.. pull those out.. then get one of those short philips screwdrivers and undo the two screws in each fender (one per fender.. follow the line from the top of the bumper.. they are right there).. then pop the hood and remove the 4 push clips... now get a crappy towel and place it under the drivers side of your bumper (this is a safety thing, if you have another person tell them just to catch the bumper... its a bumper not a rocket.. its not going to shoot off.. it will come lose and fall to the ground.. a 5 y/o girl can help you if thats all you have.. however if you now close yer hood it will hold the bumper in place for you).. go to the drivers side, grab hold of the part of the bumper that is inside the fender.. give it a short hard yank to pop it out of place.. now go to the other side and do the same.. this is the part where the bumper might fall if you dont have the hood closed..
tada yer bumper is lose and just hangin there.. or its in yer hands.. or on the ground all scratched up and yer thankful that you put that towel down...

now put the bumper licence plate side down (the licence plate makes a great stand).. the lawn is an ideal place to do this cuz grass is soft and wont mess it up...
now look at where the grille meets the bumper... yep.. all those screws and clips.. take those out... now do the same where the grille meets the radiator cover thing...

when you go to put the bumper back on.. the plastic pieces inside the fender go behind the bumper.. under the headlights theres some lil "teeth" lookin clips.. the lip of the bumper goes between the teeth.. when you cant get it to go in.. i suggest kneeling infront of yer car and "kicking" it in with your knee/thigh... so its a good idea to make sure yer car is clean before you do this or else you will have to buff out dirty handprints and knee marks..

there ya go... should take you about 20-30 minutes yer first time to get the bumper off... after this you will be able to take it off and put it back on in like 10 minutes..

if you STILL cant do it or yer just not sure of yerself.. PM me.. ill drive down tuesday and give ya a hand... well.. as long as yer not more than 30min outside of hartford cuz it will be dark before i get there and you will have to wait till the weekend unless you are prepared to hold a flashlight
Old 01-16-2005
Still in the game...

scatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to behold
^^good look
Old 01-16-2005
Go Team Venture!

againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
i just want more green dots
Old 01-16-2005

thanks againifall, I greatly appreciate the gesture but I'm all set right now...I do live less than 30 mins from hartford though ...I'll let you know if I need help

I dont even have the grill yet, I'll probably be ordering it within the next few days...I was just wondering what work was involved if I did do it. Has anybody tried putting the grill in without painting it? Cause paint is freakin expensive (I just had my spoiler painted and it came to like $160 )...
Old 01-18-2005
Go Team Venture!

depends on what color yer car is and what color the grille is..

my guess is the grille is black.. this will go with just about everything.. if the grille is a real dull unpainted finnish you can try sanding it a bit and then hitting it with 1 or 2 coats of black spraypaint (the kind made for interior works best IMO) then 1 or 2 coats of clearcoat.. that will give it a better finnish and theres a good chance it will look a lot better.. the better job you do.. the better it will look.... obviously..

btw if the grille yer removing is nhb from a 01-03 coupe lemme know
Old 01-18-2005
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted
so hows that radiator cover held on can u just pull that off.
Old 01-18-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
I gots a question about grills. I ordered the alteeza grill in Dezod's group buy. It doesnt matter which one really. But I have a coupe, and I have heard I believe that I need the sedan radiator cover? Is this true? if so, how much would it cost. Ill try to look at this thread later, or PM me with details would be great. Thanks a lot!