I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Bluetooth not displaying

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
synless is an unknown quantity at this point
Bluetooth not displaying

I have a 2013 Civic LX Coupe. The Bluetooth display will not open in the display window when either the "Phone" button on the radio console or the steering column are depressed. All other functions work and display just fine. Has anyone else seen this problem and is there an easy fix?
Old 08-11-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bluetooth not displaying

3 buttons on the steering wheel, do they do anything at all?
Center button on the steering wheel set, hold it in for 10 seconds, does the handsfree give you a verbal test message?
Old 08-11-2016
Registered!!

No, the 3 buttons don't do anything. I just tried the 10 second recommendation and still nothing.
Old 08-11-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

.........In the shop, my first instinct would be to search around for another compatible car, make sure the HFL (handsfreelink, bluetooth) in that car does work, then remove and swap the suspected dead HFL control unit into the working car, see if the one from the bad car still doesn't work in the good car..... verify the unit is dead.
Or swap the other way, make sure a good unit works in the bad car.

If you want to go by the book, you'll need some good service information..... there's a whole bunch of wiring voltage and continuity checks to be done between the HFL unit and the radio, buttons, etc. and the terminals in the connectors are extremely small and very easy to damage if you don't have the correct size probes.
Old 08-15-2016
Registered!!

Ended up taking the car to a Honda dealer. As it turns out the previous owner had an aftermarket Bluetooth installed, possibly because the factory unit stopped functioning. The mechanic told me the factory units setting has been turned off and was reluctant to turn it back on due to not knowing why the aftermarket unit was install. Could not find a switch for turning the aftermarket unit on or off and guessing it does not come on automatically when the vehicle is turned on because my phone can't find any Bluetooth devices. So I'm just going to live without it. Thanks for your assistance.
Old 08-15-2016

The mechanic told me the factory units setting has been turned off and was reluctant to turn it back on due to not knowing why the aftermarket unit was install.
Any way to contact the previous owner to get more info?

If the aftermarket unit is still present, you could look up the unit (brand, any numbers you can find on its control unit) on the internet and get more info about using it and maybe some install instructions so you can find where inline fuses may have been pulled to disable it.

See if the original HFL control unit was unplugged (I wasn't aware of a way to just 'turn it off') maybe you can reconnect and have it work again?
IIRC that one may be above the glovebox.