I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Problem with fuel gauge indicator - intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nwengr1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem with fuel gauge indicator - intermittent

An odd intermittent problem with fuel gauge..

The lighted bars are used to indicate fuel level, and the empty sace is unlit.

However, randomly, the gauge "reverses" and the empty space is lit, and the fuel level is unlit/dark. It usually last between 5 min and 20 minutes then it is back to normal.

There is no flickering, noise, etc .. I just notice it on the instrument cluster. My guess it that it is one of those relays inside the fuse box .. but not sure if it is, if so which one, and how to check it if it is.

I just can't remember if the temp gauge is affected at the same time .. the fuel always catches and keeps my attention.
Old 05-18-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problem with fuel gauge indicator - intermittent

I don't think I've had to fix one doing this yet.....
My SWAG would be a flaky gauge display.
Old 05-19-2016
Registered!!

Did it on the way to work this morning.

No impact to temp side .. could periodically see some orange light behind the center (for the gas symbol) flickering a bit.

By flaky gauge display, do you mean a loose connection, or there is more to it ?
Old 05-19-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

By flaky gauge display, do you mean a loose connection, or there is more to it ?
Like a printed circuit board problem or an LCD problem.

Try smacking the top of the dash right over the gauge when it acts up, see if that makes any change at all....If it does then the problem is most likely in the gauge (display) itself. Use the palm of your hand to smack it.
Old 05-19-2016
Registered!!

I'll smack that plastic shroud over the gauges like a government mule and let you know.
Old 05-21-2016
Registered!!

So, smacking the dark plastic above the display and in front of the display = no impact

pushing on the clear plastic face = switches it back and forth from proper display to the one I see intermittently.
Old 05-21-2016

Originally Posted by Nwengr1
So, smacking the dark plastic above the display and in front of the display = no impact

pushing on the clear plastic face = switches it back and forth from proper display to the one I see intermittently.
Well, that should tell you where the problem lies.
Now decide what to do about it.....
Old 05-21-2016
Registered!!

So, the working theory would be a loose connection .. possibly exposed wire grounding .. or the dreaded circuit board ?

Worth the time to run the Self-diagnostic test on gauges ? (22-247) of the Honda Service Manual ? Novice on the new cars .. sorry for all the questions
Old 05-21-2016

Problem is in the display, not wiring.
No delf diag needed, this is not something that would be noticed by the processor.