I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Any benefit to speaker upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ken4444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Any benefit to speaker upgrade?

I am hesitant to rip the factory head unit out of my 2014 LX Civic Sedan, but I would consider replacing the factory speakers to get better sound. The factory system works great, but the sound doesn't seem to creep beyond 120 to 14KHz.

Has anyone just changed out just the speakers? If so, how did the sound change, and what speakers did you use?
Old 10-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Re: Any benefit to speaker upgrade?

I'm going to be doing so soon. I plan on eventually getting an amplifier to run Alpine 6.5" type R's all around, but I'm going to get the speakers first.
(2014 EX Sedan)

When I do so I'll revisit this post.

I can say replacing the stock speakers in my 2006 with Kenwoods made a MASSIVE difference in the sound quality. I'd imagine it would be pretty noticeable in the 2014. (although it's speakers are significantly better than the stock ones in the 2006)
Old 10-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

After market speakers should sound much better that the stock paper cone ones. Not sure if they will go louder though.

Stock decks generally have poor sound quality, intrusive filters and few adjustments, so a deck would also be an improvement.
Old 10-12-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
After market speakers should sound much better that the stock paper cone ones. Not sure if they will go louder though.

Stock decks generally have poor sound quality, intrusive filters and few adjustments, so a deck would also be an improvement.
So, that's my worry: I start with a simple upgrade of the factory speakers to something like the Infinity Kappa 62.11I which claims a sensitivity of 95 db, only to start thinking about the next upgrade which would likely be an amplifier and a subwoofer. Then the limitations of the factory stereo will be even more obvious and the temptation to pull out the head unit starts to creep in. That of course brings a lot of hassle and complexity with it. So, like an addict, I will start down the road of the factory speaker upgrade and hope that I can draw the line there.
Old 10-12-2015
Registered!!

Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ken4444
So, that's my worry: I start with a simple upgrade of the factory speakers to something like the Infinity Kappa 62.11I which claims a sensitivity of 95 db, only to start thinking about the next upgrade which would likely be an amplifier and a subwoofer. Then the limitations of the factory stereo will be even more obvious and the temptation to pull out the head unit starts to creep in. That of course brings a lot of hassle and complexity with it. So, like an addict, I will start down the road of the factory speaker upgrade and hope that I can draw the line there.
That is not what I am saying.

I am saying, replacing just the stock speakers by themselves will improve quality significantly without an amp.

The stock deck should power them fine without an amp, and they will sound better than stock.

If you get a decent deck (around $100 for a Kenwood), it will improve the sound quality as well and would give some modern features like bluetooth (depending on which deck).

I think you could do a $100 Kenwood deck, with some $75 (per pair) speakers (i use polk audios and like memphis audio as well) and get great sound quality (without an amp). The only think you would be lacking is some low base tones that you would need a subwoofer for.

So basically for about $300 and some elbow grease, you could get a great sounding stereo (with no subs or amps).

That is a good starting point. If you want to go bigger or have subwoofers that boom, $ is your only limiting factor.
Old 10-12-2015
Registered!!

Those kappas look great. I wouldn't get them, unless I was getting an amp and deck for them. If you running straight from the deck (no amp) then I would get something a little cheaper.

It all depends how much you want to spend, and how big you want to go.
Old 10-12-2015
Registered!!

That is not what I am saying.

I am saying, replacing just the stock speakers by themselves will improve quality significantly without an amp.
Okay this is good information. I like the simplicity of just a speaker upgrade. If the sound quality increase will be good, then it would be worth the expense.

The infinity speakers are likely a better value over similar options from Focal and Morel, especially considering the poor sound quality of the factory head unit.
Old 10-12-2015
Registered!!

Okay this is good information. I like the simplicity of just a speaker upgrade. If the sound quality increase will be good, then it would be worth the expense.

The infinity speakers are likely a better value over similar options from Focal and Morel, especially considering the poor sound quality of the factory head unit.
Infinities (and others you mentioned) are high end and basically overkill if you are just doing the speakers with a stock deck.

How much do you want to spend? because that is the only thing limiting.
Old 10-12-2015
Registered!!

Infinities (and others you mentioned) are high end and basically overkill if you are just doing the speakers with a stock deck.

How much do you want to spend? because that is the only thing limiting.
The Infinity 62.11I is around $140 a pair, so under $300 for two sets shipped. I can deal with that. If I get 10 years out of this car than that works out to $2.50 a month for the speakers, or 8 cents a day
Old 10-12-2015
Registered!!

The Infinity 62.11I is around $140 a pair, so under $300 for two sets shipped. I can deal with that. If I get 10 years out of this car than that works out to $2.50 a month for the speakers, or 8 cents a day
It's your $.

I kinda take some stuff back, I just noticed that this was 8th and 9th gen. Your stock speakers may be better quality than my 6th gen, you will have to see for yourself.

If they do have trash stock ones then I would get a deck and speakers for $300, It will probably produce great overall quality. Better than just really expensive speakers.

If it has quality speakers then I would just get a deck. Factory decks always have lame adjustments and are have a built in equalizer mix that usually sucks. Plus it probably won't have all of the modern features like pandora compatibility.

Last edited by Mad Dog Tannen; 10-12-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-12-2015
Registered!!

..If they do have trash stock ones then I would get a deck and speakers for $300, It will probably produce great overall quality. Better than just really expensive speakers.

If it has quality speakers then I would just get a deck...
I have an LX, so assume a low end factory stereo and speakers. I looked a the rear deck speakers from the trunk and they don't look to be of any great quality physically: thin, stamped sheet metal frame and tiny magnet. The cones do seem like they are plastic, so this is probably an attempt to make them last longer than paper cones would. But of course plastic can get brittle too depending on its specific ingredients.

For a car that I will drive less than 5,000 miles a year, I'm not inclined to worry too much about the stereo.

Anyhow, I will drop in some good aftermarket speakers front and back and report back with details.
Old 04-22-2016
Registered!!

Mikeyyy is an unknown quantity at this point

ken4444: have you done anything yet??
Old 07-25-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy
ken4444: have you done anything yet??
Unfortunately, no. I have decided to live with the factory speakers.
Old 07-26-2016
Registered!!

Mikeyyy is an unknown quantity at this point

well I did, I had my front speakers changed out to some infinity reference and also got a new head unit a basic pioneer cd radio unit. Much better sound and with the new head unit i have even noticed the stock rears sound a lil better than before. I took reading of how far up i turned old radio and tried to match it to same as newer and noticed that at same levels newer sounds louder, clearer and gets better as i turn it up. the infintys have a sensitivity of 92 DB Thinking of an amp when I get my work bonus in sept.
Old 08-06-2016
Registered!!

5hamers is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a sony deck with acoustic speakers sounds a lot better now
well worth it.