I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

What equipment do I need to safely interface with Serial port?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torontob is an unknown quantity at this point
What equipment do I need to safely interface with Serial port?

Hi Everyone,

I am a computer programmer and been playing with embedded boards for quiet a while now. I don't want to buy anything of the shelf but rather build my own voice command solution for the car. I will be using Linux + Google Speech Recognition API and few other open source technologies to build something like SIRI.

I will be having a Nexus 7 tablet in the car as well + internet data. Here is a list of things I would like to do and I am wondering if they are possible to do and if so what kind of hardware should I look into for interfacing between my embedded board (has a serial port) and the car electronics:

Honda Civic 2009 - DX-G
1- Voice command engine start
2- Reading status of the car
3- Reading mileage and maintenance schedules
4- Opening and locking doors
3- Controlling all windows
4- Controlling Air-conditioner and Stereo system
5- Other cool things?

I have the speech recognition system and the computer ready. I need to work with the electric system and car computer.

I am also wondering how I would be able to provide power after the car is turned off as the embedded computer might have to stay on for a while until it's safely shut-down or be ON all the time.

Some advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What equipment do I need to safely interface with Serial port?

3- Controlling all windows
4- Controlling Air-conditioner and Stereo system
5- Other cool things?
Just noticed you can't count.

1, You would still have to use the key to unlock the steering column before you can drive it, so I think this is just laziness. But ok....bunch of relays to operate the electrical stuff.
You will need to bypass the immobilizer if you expect it to start without a key in the ignition.
Look to what the aftermarket uses for remote start setups and follow that lead.
Factory offers remote start kits too, with all the important stuff figured out just for that car.

2, 3, 4, 3, 4, you will probably want/need software that can interface with several of the computers already on board.
Some of this stuff can be viewed or controlled in test modes through the factory scantool (HDS). My guess is you would have to modify some stuff to make bi-directional controls operate outside of their intended test modes.
Some can't be, the functions you want just aren't embedded in the firmware/software.
For the stuff that isn't, I'd suggest you study the bigger Acura and Honda cars and vans that have NAVI and use voice commands (Touring Odyssey?). It may be simpler to adapt a system that is already tested, proven, and in use.

wondering how I would be able to provide power after the car is turned off
Hmmm.....Is this your first time with a real car?

Want to hack something?
What I would like to see is a kit that would let me use the IMID in the 2012 civic for not only a backup camera display, but also use it to display data taken from various computers around the car. Coolant temperature to tire pressures and lots of stuff inbetween. I bet you could make a cool nickel on it.
Old 07-04-2012
Registered!!

torontob is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL...good catch on the counting numbers. But no this is not my first time with a car and the question of power is a very legit one. Maybe you are not familiar with Linux systems or probably didn't get my question right. I was looking for answers along the lines of using a separate battery pack or the car's battery, etc...

Setting record straight on the numbers:
5- Controlling all windows
6- Controlling Air-conditioner and Stereo system
7- Other cool things?

My questions are mostly pertaining to hardware needed that is proven and safe to use and where to interface them rather than the firmware/software as that is what I will deal with. The factory remote starter kit is of no use in this situation. However, I would like to see (with reference) a list of things that the car computer allows me to automate.
Old 07-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't really care about the numbers, just caught it halfway through typing.

No, not at all familiar with what you are doing, or attempting.
I work at a dealer, and pretty much all I see is factory equipment. I was trying to think of what the factory may have already provided, and thinking if that could be utilized it would make your goal somewhat easier. (I'm all about easy.)

I'd think you could use the cars battery, as long as your units all time out and go to sleep after some set amount of time (minimal long-term current draw, keep it under, say, 10-20 milliamps when not active). "Sleep" mode is pretty standard on all automotive computer systems now.

OK. No clue on hardware to work with the car. Some things you want may already be there or (somewhat) easily adapted with software, but some other functions have no provisions for anything other than human control AFAIK as installed by the factory. (I just pictured a cartoon robotic hand twisting ***** and pushing buttons LOL.)
Example: I don't think the 09 Civic HVAC can even be controlled by a scanner, let alone voice. But the HVAC (and more) from a Touring Odyssey can already be controlled by voice.

I know it's not the answer you wanted, but I was thinking out loud. HTH
Old 07-06-2012
Registered!!

howtofreak is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: What equipment do I need to safely interface with Serial port?

Most modern computers no longer have a 9-pin serial port, so how can you connect ... GPS devices, barcode scanners, point-of-sale devices and lab equipment? .... The driver which I tried to updat from your site will not download properly on my laptop. ... I selected the Windows 7 Beta driver for my USA-19HS interface uni
Do not perform any action that creates a hazard to people or makes the ... Caution For the safety of your equipment, periodically check the resistance value of the .... Serial interfaces may require a data service unit (DSU) or channel service .... Before you connect a device to a serial port, you need to know the following
how to tie a tie
how to tie a tie
http://howtofreak.com/13/how-to-tie-a-tie
You can learn easily and simply that how to tie a tie at Howtofreak.com.
==============