I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Remote starter newbie question: hood pin switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nhimconde is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Remote starter newbie question: hood pin switch

I'm thinking about installing a remote starter on my 07 civic. My local installer tell me that " I do not do hood switches cause the corrode and fail in our type of climate" [I live in mid-west]

Do you think it is true? Is a hood switch comes along with the starter really important?

BTW, do you guys choose Best Buy to install remote starter? Plz, I'm not geek enough to do it by my own so no comment like "do it yourself" I need some real advice

Thanks all.

Old 01-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Remote starter newbie question: hood pin switch

I have zero input on any remote starts. I install factory units from Honda, and I don't see one listed for an 07 Civic.

Yes, a hood switch is supposed to be installed. It is used to disable the remote start when the hood is open, so if you or someone is working on the car the engine can't possibly start from the remote.

Picture getting an oil change done, you in the waiting room with your remote in your pocket (cuz you only gave them the ignition key, right?) The guys in the shop have the oil drained out......and somehow you manage to hit the START button with the can of soda you just set on your leg........ Bad nooz dood.

Yeah the cheapo bare pin switch won't last but a couple of years in the salt and rust belt.
Some other brands of cars use a somewhat sealed hood switch with a rubber boot, maybe you could hunt one down in a junkyard or u-pull.

I might try to find a mercury tilt switch (from an old aftermarket car alarm) and attach it to the hood, it's pretty simple and mostly idiotproof unless someone bends the flimsy bracket out of position.

Your hood latch has its own switch that might be adapted to do the job too (might need to do a little checking or research), but if it gets disconnected from the car, your alarm won't work.
Old 01-04-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I wouldn't trust a Best Buy installer, they aren't true professional installers, they're kids that got a promotion from selling subs on the sales floor.

Go to an independent shop.
Old 01-05-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

^ agree, Best Buy is not know for its customer service either.. Find an auto shop, or even some car audio place that will do the install..
Old 01-05-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for your replies... especially ezone.

I hate Best Buy too, that's why I asked the question to verify people opinion Now I'm sure to go to a local shop.

Does anyone know a way to check a local business for its reputation/services online?

Thanks all again, you truly help.
Old 01-05-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Really, it's all about the guy doing the work, not necessarily the shop he's in. Is the person paid enough to care? Does he KNOW WTF he's doing? You can't tell from looking. I might look like a crazy homeless person, but I'm the most qualified tech in this shop. Most wouldn't guess that just by looks.

Ask friends that have had work done, see what their opinions are.

I have a few horror stories about several places that do installs. I think it's expected to happen, and you can always find the bad stuff if you look for it. Hopefully, the bad stuff you hear isn't the norm.
EVERYONE has horror stories about buying cars, right? Same thing.

Here, it's one of the car audio places that seem to be best equipped to handle the work, since that sort of work is all they do. The same place installs sunroofs and other junk too, pretty good work for what the products are.

IMO:
Any regular mechanical shop is NOT going to know what parts are needed to do what job on which car. I know I sure don't, and I have installed alarms and remote starts on my own cars.
3/4 of regular mechanics don't know electricity well, it seems to be "the final frontier" of auto repair.

Most customers really don't want to pay my rates to do an install either, but I solder and try my best to do an install as right as I know how. Permanent, no loose connections from blue vampire connectors. The way I do it isn't fast.

Someone brought in a remote start off of ebay, wanted it put in their van.
It took me probably 20 minutes before I figured out they didn't get the correct bypass kit.
I said F-this, it just isn't worth my valuable time to figure it out. (My time is worth $2-$10 per minute, depending on the job, and this looked like a losing job to me.)
This kit/install is not going to go smoothly, and I DO NOT WANT the customer pissed off at me or us.

Let them go elsewhere and be pissed at those guys.

There are other people and shops better suited to do the job.
Old 01-05-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nhimconde
Thanks for your replies... especially ezone.

I hate Best Buy too, that's why I asked the question to verify people opinion Now I'm sure to go to a local shop.

Does anyone know a way to check a local business for its reputation/services online?

Thanks all again, you truly help.
Most all areas have dedicated local import clubs, either for all makes or specifically civics or Nissans and etcetera.

Find one of those sites, make an account and ask for a recommendation on a good local audio shop.
Old 01-05-2012
Registered!!

I found a shop called "Auto Electric Services" which sounds good to me that they are specialized about electric stuff.

about Best Buy, I hate the way they try to get more and more money out from my pocket [at least the one near my home does] The guys there always tell you crap that scares you, making you pay extra for extended protection plans.

For me, I choose Micro Center for my computer & electric supplies.

Old 01-05-2012

Originally Posted by nhimconde
I found a shop called "Auto Electric Services" which sounds good to me that they are specialized about electric stuff.

Most places like that try to deal only with factory wiring problems, starters and alternators, that sort of thing. Not aftermarket electronics stuff.

Your best bet is to first call them and check before wasting your and their time, see if they do what you are looking for. If they don't, then ask who they would recommend to do it.