Electronics Post information/questions/Issues about Electronic parts here.

AUX port stopped working suddenly [solved]

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
helpmefixit2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
AUX port stopped working suddenly [solved]

Hello,

I have a 2007 Civic with an AUX input port. today I was listening to my ipod using the AUX port (as I do just about everyday) when all of the sudden it cut out and the display on the car radio switched to the tuner. I could not get the mode to change back into AUX mode when though the ipod was plugged in and was playing. There was no real warning before the music cut out. I was just driving along and then it was gone.

I have checked the Ipod on its own, and the audio cable I was using on its own and both are in working order. The cd player still works just fine, as does the normal radio. The only thing that seems to not work is the AUX mode.

What could be the issue? and is this something that I can fix on my own? (while not an electrical engineer.. I do have a mechanical engineering degree and can follow instructions). Is this something I shouldl take it to the dealer for (I am pretty sure I am out of warranty)?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I am really going to miss listening to books in my ipod during my work commute!

Thank you!
Old 03-21-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
re: AUX port stopped working suddenly [solved]

There is a switch built into the aux jack to sense when a plug is present, since you cannot select aux from the panel it sounds like it is not seeing the plug is inserted. You could try reseating the connector on the aux jack (assuming it even has one) or the aux jack may be defective.

If tou look at the 8th gens parts info the part # for that jack is not shown... I have looked in the past. If you find the part # or the problem post it up please.
Old 05-20-2015
Registered!!

barryaz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
There is a switch built into the aux jack to sense when a plug is present, since you cannot select aux from the panel it sounds like it is not seeing the plug is inserted. You could try reseating the connector on the aux jack (assuming it even has one) or the aux jack may be defective.

If tou look at the 8th gens parts info the part # for that jack is not shown... I have looked in the past. If you find the part # or the problem post it up please.
Did anyone ever resolve this issue? My AUX jack won't recognize the plug. If I push on the plug, I see AUX displayed for a moment, so it seems that the jack/switch is not working. What's involved in replacing?
Old 05-21-2015

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Factory manual is remove audio/hvac portion.

Release clips on AUX jack back side, and push out towards cabin
Old 08-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dcelaya is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is how I fixed mine. $25 bucks, and two min of work.

https://youtu.be/OkiT9HSWqIY

Apparently, they just die after a while? I don't know. I have a Bluetooth plugged in for the past year or so. So it wasn't damaged from repeated cable insertions. Who knows, lol. Works now!

Last edited by dcelaya; 08-19-2015 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typos
The following users liked this post:
ye566466w5y7we7 (09-09-2023)
Old 08-19-2015

Good fix, could be broken solder joints on the PCB that could be touched up, maybe.
Old 08-19-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

It's a common problem. I tried fixing my gf's 2008 ex aux jack when it crapped itself; took it apart, resoldered connections amd checked continuity with a multimeter, ensured proper contacts with a spare aux cord and the pins on the back of the aux jack itself. Still didn't work properly. Buy a new one and call it a day.
Old 10-19-2021
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mikett is an unknown quantity at this point

In the Aux port of these cars, there is a small switch to check if anything is plugged in. No idea why they felt this was necessary. Not sure if it's a spring or contact or dust issue but eventually it seems to stop working. I was able to get around it for a while by hanging something heavy like my pocket knife on the aux cord. (That's good for them, right? Extra strain?)

My fix was pull it out, check continuity between the pins and the ⅛" headphone plug and using some thin wire, jump out the other 2 pins that were that switch. (Pictured) Seems to be working great.

2 right pins shorted out.

Works so well that I no longer need that pesky cord plugged in.
The following users liked this post:
ye566466w5y7we7 (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023
Registered!!

ye566466w5y7we7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: AUX port stopped working suddenly [solved]

made an account just to say thanks. Just soldered those two pins like you did and it fixed the problem