I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

I changed my battery and now my interior is dim.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOLAcuse is an unknown quantity at this point
I changed my battery and now my interior is dim.

Ok, so here is the story: my battery was dying on me. It stranded me the other night, so I got a jump and a diagnostic from AAA (who told me my battery was on it's way out). I went and had a new battery installed yesterday morning. Last night I drove at night and noticed something strange: when I click on my headlights, the interior lights all get dim. Or at least dimmer than they were without the headlights on. Now I know the battery isn't weak as I just changed it yesterday morning, so it can't be that.

Any other guesses as to what could be happening? Maybe I need to go tighten up the battery connections? Could the mechanic have dislodged something else in the process of installing the battery?

(For reference I have a 2007 Civic LX four door.)
Old 01-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: I changed my battery and now my interior is dim.

Once the engine is running your vehicle doesn't use the battery, it uses the alternator. Go down to Autozone and have them check the alternator (it's a free service). It's a good idea to make sure the battery connections are good anyways.
Old 01-15-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah if the alt isnt working (14v) then you are running on the battery fully or partially (12v) and everything will be dimmer. make sure they check how many amps the alt is making, it should be close to 70 otherwise theres a problem. if the alt is dead and youre running off battery, bad things can happen so dont drive too much like this.
Old 01-15-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

When the lights are on push the + button on the left and see if the cluster etc brighten.

2 settings are avail, 1 for lights off & 1 for lights on.