I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Headlight is fogged.. Replace it? if so, need advice plz.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JosephWatts is an unknown quantity at this point
Headlight is fogged.. Replace it? if so, need advice plz.

Hey all, I've run into a bit of a problem and would appreciate any feedback from the community..

Upon entering my garage, the headlight of my 09 Honda Civic EX (Automatic Trans) appeared to me to be opaque. Taking a closer look at the assembly, I noticed a tiny fracture running vertically from the base of the light.. Could this crack have allowed moisture to enter the assembly and cause it to fog up? Is replacing the assembly my only option, or can I somehow eliminatIe the fogginess and seal up the crack to restore it to its original beauty ?

While I don't want to jump to conclusions, I'm assuming that I'll just have to replace the light.. In this case, I've done some research on some online vendors that I found to like, but before I spend my money there I want to be sure they're legitimate businesses.
Either

http://www.autolightcenter.com/honda...s.html#MzkzNDk
or
http://vehicle-interior-parts.amazon...source=froogle

Forgive me for the long post/many questions, I feel like an amateur car owner sometimes : P But thanks in advance.
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

sam68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Headlight is fogged.. Replace it? if so, need advice plz.

Yes it could and probably did let moisture in, I would replace the entire light if it were my car. Those lights are probably not OEM if you want OEM try Majestic Honda they sell Honda parts cheap your local Honda dealer may also price match if you print it out and take it to them, my local dealer does.

Last edited by sam68; 11-22-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-22-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, your best bet is to replace it
But for a temporary solution, take apart your headlight housing, apply a bead of clear silicone caulk inside the crack, it it dry completely, and put the headlight back on

Another way i believe is to buy glass resin and fill the crack
Old 11-23-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

09 or 01?
Old 11-29-2010
Registered!!

Paul79UF is an unknown quantity at this point

You could also get a generic replacement headlight assembly on eBay.

I bought some for my oldest car a few years ago and they still look good. Plus you can always buff out any haziness from the lens.
Old 11-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Replace it. You can try sealing the crack with clear silicone but I don't think you will ever get a proper seal. If your going to replace it, I suggest sticking with OEM.

Majestic Honda has them for 188 dollars: Linky:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...gry5=HEADLIGHT

^ That's for a coupe btw. I don't know with 8th gens if the headlights are the same for coupe or sedan so make sure you go through the selection process and pick the right one.

Depending on your miles I'd try to get it replaced as warranty item, you never know they may just do it

Last edited by BlueEM2; 11-30-2010 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Added some jibberish at the end