I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Aftermarket stereo install

Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dream Ice is an unknown quantity at this point
Aftermarket stereo install

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and new to Civic's.

I have a 2006 Honda Civic Type R which has the original stereo hooked up to the display on the dashboard that shows the time and radio channel etc.

However, I am installing a new double din JVC head unit (ref: KW-AVX820) and am wondering how I would go about getting the new head unit to work in conjuction with the dashboard display??? I have the necassary ISO lead to link the original wire/connections to the new stereo but nothing is desplayed on the dashboard display.

Is there an additional lead available that will allow me to hook the new stereo to the dashboard display???

If so could somebody point me in the right direction?

Much appreciated, Rob!

P.s, Civic's rule!
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

01civiclx94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Aftermarket stereo install

Maybe if you just try to tap into the existing wire that went to it. Newer civics are a pain in the you know what when it comes to that stuff
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

Dream Ice is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 01civiclx94
Maybe if you just try to tap into the existing wire that went to it. Newer civics are a pain in the you know what when it comes to that stuff
One of the things I looked at was trying to establish which standard wire/connection was responsible for sending the signal to the dashboard display.

On the back of the standard stereo (just under the main stereo) there are 2 green plug connectors... one small and one large. The larger one of the two is probable about an inch or so long and has a number of wires connecting through it. When disconnected the dashboard display does not work but when plugged back in all works as normal.

Therefore I beleive this to be the correct wire that needs tapping into and connecting to the new aftermarket stereo... but, which wire/s do I need to tap in to, and how do I wire that up to the new stereo.

Headache or what???

All help will be grately appreciated

Thanks again, Rob!
Old 08-04-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

it's likely going to be some type of communication signal, which i highly doubt the JVC is going to output.