I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Sub Connection Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shampton is an unknown quantity at this point
Sub Connection Help

I got a 2008 honda civic and i'm hookin up a sub into it and i dont know where to hook it up to my stock deck. If anyone can tell me where i need to connect it to my stock deck that would be great.

-Thanks
Old 10-08-2009
Registered!!

vsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sub Connection Help

My advice, don't even try.
Get yourself a nice new head unit first.
a) You'll hear a world of difference even before you add the sub
b) It will make your life SO much easier as you expand your stereo.
c) Read part b again.

But..... if you are serious about keeping the stock deck (Which I advise against..) then what you'll need is an amp with a low-pass filter that accepts high-level inputs, or convert the speaker wires to RCA yourself. Without the low-pass filter on the amp you'll melt your voice coils. Subs aren't meant to handle frequencies above a couple hundred Hz. And unless you get a high-low level converter for that speaker wire you won't be able to feed the amp from the stock deck.

You'll have to tap into the speaker wires (Either from the deck or you can even do it right at the rear speakers) and use that to feed the amp. I'm not sure what you could use as a remote on/off, you might want to use a switch for that and install it in your dash so you can turn your amp on and off manually.

Otherwise the rest is the same.
Good luck.

Last edited by vsTerminus; 10-08-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2009
Registered!!

shampton is an unknown quantity at this point

my bad i should said i have everything already n i jus neeed to know how to take the deck piece off and hook it up to the deck
Old 10-10-2009
Registered!!

gen6ex is an unknown quantity at this point

i had to get a new head unit. my stock one wasnt compatable. dunno if its the same in an 08 though. but it will sound better with an aftermarket one. as far as getting it out... its just really hard to loosen up. it took my friend and his dad over an hour to figure it out and then wiggle it out. probably not a lot of help... just letting you know what you may be in for. i had planned on using my stock head unit too. lol
Old 10-28-2009
Registered!!

sodaCAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hooking it up to the stock unit is a waste of time, and when you succeed you will be bummed out 3 days later when you buy a new head unit anyways because you aren't satisfied.

Go to best buy/fries and buy a dash kit (12-20 bucks), wire adapter (10 bucks), and a new head unit (45 bucks and up). Will make your life super easy. And be prepared, getting the stock one out is loads of fun.