I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2006 Civic EX CD Player Clicking/AC Fan Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chrisemc is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Civic EX CD Player Clicking/AC Fan Squeaking

Hi All-

My girlfriend and I recently purchased an 06 EX, had previously taken it for a test drive etc. Couple of things we didn't catch until after driving it off the lot that are disappointing:
- When the AC/Heat is turned on the fan behind the vent on the passenger side near the window squeaks. The faster the fan speed the higher the squeaking.

- The CD player doesn't appear to work, when you hit the CD button it doesn't say "load", and doesn't toggle to the CD screen. Attempting to put a CD in results in a repeated clicking sound over and over again. I've tried forcing it in partially, but the player never "pulls" the CD in. Hitting the eject button sounds like it's working, but nothing comes out. If I didn't know any better I'd swear there was something stuck in there.

I called the dealership and asked them bluntly if these were known issues they didn't disclose. You would think that their "thorough used car inspection" would have caught these things when the previous owner traded it in.

Bottom line, the fan problem we can live with and even pay to have fixed ourselves. The CD player not functioning is completely unacceptable and if known previously by the dealership (Volkswagen) is deceptive, if unknown negligent at best.

They've asked us to come in next weekend to "have their technicians take a look at it." I'm skeptical however, because they are not a Honda dealership, I question their knowledge of the inner workings of a Honda audio system.

We obviously don't have a lot of leverage here, we've signed the paperwork and are committed to buying this car. We've put a hold on the check for the loan, which we've already give then, until they take a look at the car next weekend.

I'm willing to let them take a look at it, but if push comes to shove I am really going to have to insist that they cut us a check for the cost of a replacement CD deck and labor; we'll go to a Honda dealership and have it done. Unfortunately we have little legal ground to stand on in my estimation given that we've already signed all the paperwork. They could flat out refuse and we'd have no rebuttal.

Wondering if any Civic enthusiasts have a different take on this, technical or otherwise.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2006 Civic EX CD Player Clicking/AC Fan Squeaking

is it still under warranty? should be.
Old 01-19-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chrisemc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Good question, which I should have mentioned; the car currently has 62,000 miles on it. So it's just outside warranty.

Not sure if it's worth taking up the plight with a Honda dealership to see if they want to fix it.

Spoke with the VW dealership where we bought it today, they "will do everything they can to help us." We'll see how far that gets us...
Old 01-20-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you can always call corporate honda and tell them what happened, be nice and say you love honda blah blah and they may say we will cover part or all of the repair even out of warranty.