I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Wiring Problems w/new pics

Old 04-22-2007
CIVIC USER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trusted
Wiring Problems w/new pics

Im installing a pioneer 5700dvd, pioneer avic-88dvd(navigation), and a pioneer cdib100II(ipod adapter). The 5700dvd is currently hooked up but the dash is still in pieces because the two components, nav and ipod adapter both require auxillary power with their two power and ground cables. Furthermore, the manual says not to tap into the hu wire harness for power so I need to somehow get these components hooked up to power. What would be the best way. As well, the navigation is supposed to get tapped into the speed sensor and I am not sure where to find that. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by jbrown59; 04-24-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Wiring Problems

You can grab 12V and accessory at the ignition harness.
12V - white
accessory - black/red

Speed sensor (VSS) can be found at the PCM behind the glove box. It is in a 31 pin plug, white/green wire @ pin 18. You might also grab it as blue/white @ the cruise control module to the left of the steering column if you've got cruise.
Old 04-22-2007
CIVIC USER

jbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trusted

I will try this thank you for the help but i have one question, Which harness is the ignition harness?
Old 04-22-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

The one that is attached to the key cylinder. Larger gauge wires (~12-14AWG).
Old 04-22-2007
CIVIC USER

I just opened the cruise control panel and no white and blue wire. The wire colors are 2 black wires, 1 black/red. 1 red and then a light blue wire---which i think you were describing. Also, is there any other way to tap power without going into the ignition harness like using the cigarrette lighter power or some other way or do I have to unwrap the harness and get those wires?
Old 04-22-2007
Registered!!

What are your specifics? EX, LX, coupe, sedan?

I'd go to the ignition harness because it is a good current source. I'm guessing the manual doesn't want you going to the radio so you have more power on tap. Ciggy lighter would be very similar to grabbing power at the deck.
Old 04-22-2007
CIVIC USER

I have an 02 ex coupe. I understand your thought process being a certified technician and all. However, I dont have that much experience with installs and I got a little worried when I took off the covers under the steering wheel and saw the wires wrapped up nice and pretty with wire covers and green tape that says "certified". Im just worried Im gonna cut a wire and the air bag will blow. Is it really that simple though, I mean where do I cut the wire cover and wires exactly or do I just open up the cover, find the white wire, run it to the navi, ground it, plug it and Im set? If it is that simple then let me know and I will most def try this route. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2007
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road

It looks rather intimidating if you've never done it before.. I went outside to take a picture of the right wire harness for you but it's pouring rain here right now sooo... yeah.. anyway, you can just use a razor blade to cut the tape.. obviously don't cut too deep so you don't cut any of the wires. Stay away from ANY wires with yellow plugs on them or are wrapped in yellow split loom... I'm can't remember if our cars even have the yellow split loom but I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 04-23-2007
Registered!!

Got a DMM? If you don't it's going to be real tough to complete this install yourself.
Old 04-23-2007
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road

Ha yeah I forgot you needed to find the VSS.
It's pretty tough to test for that without the proper equipment.
Old 04-23-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

for my XM radio power, i just spliced into the power for the cigarette lighter. that way the XM shuts off when you shut off the ACC. i bought a cigarette lighter extension cord from radio shack, cut the male end off and wired the female to the cigarette lighter. then i plugged the cigarette lighter power adapter from the XM into the female plug i just spliced in. it's all conceled behind the panel and all you see is the power wire for the XM going into the panel edge. easy to do really and you're not ripping apart major harnesses hoping you get the right wire. and no multimeter needed.
Old 04-23-2007
Registered!!

He'll likely want it to test VSS though.
Old 04-24-2007
CIVIC USER

Originally Posted by christmaspie
He'll likely want it to test VSS though.
Christmaspie, I have cruise control if you scroll and read my past post near the top but I dont know which color wire it was because you said it would be blue and white and I dont have that color cord. Also, what is a dmm? I read from a navigation website that I just need to tap the vcc so it doesnt seem to be that difficult of a job. Let me know.
Old 04-24-2007
Registered!!

DMM - Digital Multi Meter
A very useful tool and one I found almost requisite if you want to make electrical connections to your vehicle. As a rule you should test every connection you make so you know it's the right wire. It is possible to do the install you want to w/o one but you need to follow the info we give closely.

I attached a diagram of the cruise control unit and the instrument cluster. You can find VSS at either one or the PCM I mentioned earlier. I'm not entirely sure but I'm getting the impression the EX doesn't have a cruise control unit under the dash, it's only the cruise actuator @ the passenger side engine compartment. VSS is labeled as SPD on the cruise schematic. You can also get VSS at the instrument cluster, it's blue/white and you might be able to get at the harnesses from underneath.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cruise.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	70671   Click image for larger version

Name:	instrument.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	70672  
Old 04-24-2007
CIVIC USER

Originally Posted by jbrown59
I just opened the cruise control panel and no white and blue wire. The wire colors are 2 black wires, 1 black/red. 1 red and then a light blue wire---which i think you were describing. Also, is there any other way to tap power without going into the ignition harness like using the cigarrette lighter power or some other way or do I have to unwrap the harness and get those wires?
Scratch the last post , light blue = INH, Im going to try to find the wire right now, maybe ill post pics up to make sure Im hitting the right wire.

Last edited by jbrown59; 04-24-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2007
Registered!!

But those wires don't match, are you sure you're at the right spot? The schematics are for an EX.

Last edited by christmaspie; 04-24-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2007
CIVIC USER

Took some pics of the wires I found under the dash of the drivers side

Harness with blue/white wire, best pic I could take, I believe thats the vcc but Im sure you would say, thats a gamble and a chance, right?

This is the pic of the cruise control harness that plugs into the cruise control button on drivers side. Light blue wire = INH, or at least thats what I thought. Let me know if Im right, wrong or if these pics are even helpful. Also, I found a wire harness that I believe was connected to an alarm or some other accessory underneath the dash on the drivers side, ill take pics and post but its an open harness and I believe I will use this harness to power the navi. Also, I wanted to hook the cd-ob100II up to the dvd harness because I dont believe it will draw too much energy, considering all it does is power the ipod and connect it to the display. Thanks for the help thus far and give me your thoughts.
Old 04-24-2007
Registered!!

Re: Wiring Problems w/new pics

So that last picture is def your cruise control switch but you won't find VSS there. Your best bet will probably be the cluster. I included a graphic to give you an idea of where the harness is plugged in that you want. You want the blue/white wire at pin A12 in the green plug.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cluster.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	70691  
Old 04-25-2007
CIVIC USER

Install time - 7 or 8 AM. I will post pics when Im done.
Old 04-26-2007
CIVIC USER

Reverse signal input

Im almost done with the install, now I just need to hook up the navi to the reverse signal or reverse headlight lead. Can anyone help me out?
Old 04-26-2007
Registered!!

If you're not hooking up the reverse/back-up camera don't even worry about it.
Old 04-30-2007
CIVIC USER

Finished New Pics

Finished the install, here are the pics of the completed project, enjoy!
DVD

NAVIGATION

Toggle switch

Be back with night pics later.

Last edited by jbrown59; 04-30-2007 at 10:16 PM.