I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

please help, deck heating up, amp fried?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theCIVdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
please help, deck heating up, amp fried?

ook, so i had a brand new amp and it fried, it was professionally installed so all the wriing is perfect. i got a new amp and it works and everything but the back of my deck heats up all the time, and really really hot, could the amp ahve fried because the deck? the deck was professionally intsalled too so I tihnk the only problem is that its a defeective deck, I mean it is a sony, so anyone have any input that would be great
thanks
joe
Old 04-04-2007
Registered!!

PowerWheels86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: please help, deck heating up, amp fried?

well the deck only sends the signal to the amp... the only real thing that might have fried the amp is trying to bump the amp beyond it's capacity... maybe the subs or speakers were pushing more power than the amp could handle... as for the deck overheating... no idea... defective deck... i have a sony one also... maybe it isn't getting enough ventilation?? really can't help you much on that..
Old 04-05-2007
Registered!!

JMUCivic03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PowerWheels86
well the deck only sends the signal to the amp... the only real thing that might have fried the amp is trying to bump the amp beyond it's capacity... maybe the subs or speakers were pushing more power than the amp could handle... as for the deck overheating... no idea... defective deck... i have a sony one also... maybe it isn't getting enough ventilation?? really can't help you much on that..
Could have just been a fualty amp or a connection could have rattled loose and fried something. As for your deck overheating, I would need to know a lot more, like what model is it? What speakers is it powering? I could be something as simple as improper ventilation, or it could be more complex like the resistance of the speakers you are trying to run is too low, and your headunits is over working itself.
Old 04-06-2007
Registered!!

theCIVdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not too sure what speakers they are, they are the stock speakers which are pioneers, I didn't replace them because they sound good. I'm not too sure what sony deck it is. I originally had my system professionally intsalled to ym stock deck so last night I re attached my stock deck. The same thing. the back of the deck where the wires go in was really really hot. So I was thinking mabye that is normal because I did have everything professioanlly installed. If anyone else can take the dash apart and just plug in your deck and listen to your system for a good 5 minutes then feel the back of your deck and let me know what temp. it is at that would be really helpful.
Old 04-06-2007
Registered!!

JMUCivic03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theCIVdaddy
I am not too sure what speakers they are, they are the stock speakers which are pioneers, I didn't replace them because they sound good. I'm not too sure what sony deck it is. I originally had my system professionally intsalled to ym stock deck so last night I re attached my stock deck. The same thing. the back of the deck where the wires go in was really really hot. So I was thinking mabye that is normal because I did have everything professioanlly installed. If anyone else can take the dash apart and just plug in your deck and listen to your system for a good 5 minutes then feel the back of your deck and let me know what temp. it is at that would be really helpful.
It is normal for the deck to get hot, I cant give you some type of temperature assesment, but it gets hot. Electricity is always going to cause heat because electrical systems are never going to be 100% efficient. If your stock deck is getting just as hot, then logically, it is probably not a big problem because you ran your stock deck for however many years/months/days before and there were no issues, and now your aftermarket HU should run for years/months/days without overheating. My brothers brand new 07 civic's stock HU gets so hot that when you eject a CD it is almost too hot to hold it, and he has yet to have problems (this is uncommon in most cars. Messing around with electronics is often a fairly inexact science, these things are mass produced and may have little flukes, but if it works and doesnt burn down your car, chance are its working the way it should.
Old 04-12-2007
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road

I have an Eclipse deck that's a few years old now but even when it was brand new, after listening to a cd, the cd was almost too hot to hold. It's probably fine. If you're that worried about it, take your car in for a trouble shoot.. any installer should be able to tell you if things are working the way they should.