I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

YOUR input on these subs

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
YOUR input on these subs

I'm looking for a sub, 10 inch probably. I'm planning on doing only ONE sub at this point, and MAYBE rear deck and front door (coupe) speakers possibly down the road. I was browsing crutchfield and decided I'd post some of the ones I was looking at and hope to get some feedback from you guys on how these compare to eachother or what might perform better at this price range. At the moment, I dont have an amp but am planning on getting one- havent started looking at them yet though- I thought it was more logical to go sub--> amp instead of vise versa. BTW, not looking to add video down the line at all, nor am I looking for suggestions on door and rear deck speakers at this point. Sub + amp (with future expandability) only at this point.

I am looking for a passive sub (one powered by external amp), and will fiberglas the enclosure-- not looking for boxes.

What I'm looking for: not to shake any bolts loose, or have my lisence plate viberate so much my paint gets scratched (I have rubber cushions on my lisence plate corners so this wouldnt be an issue anyways). I basicaly want some kick to my music, because I cant hear much base, and def. cant feel it at the moment. I'd like to. I dont want anything crazy like double 12's, just something small I can tuck away in the side of my trunk with some handy fiberglasing- because I use my trunk a lot. I'd also instal a **** so I could adjust the gain on the sub from max to nothing- lets face it- subs shouldnt be used all the time (ex driving up to a business meeting, through sketch neighborhoods, coming home late, etc). Anyways, I think thats a decent amount of info to get me started with some feedfack. Thanks guys.

Rockford Fosgate P210S4

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-oixzZzR...20&I=575P210S4
Size 10 -inch
Impedance 4 ohms
Cone Material Molded polypropylene
Surround Material Foam
Sensitivity 85.8dB
Frequency Response 20 - 0.2k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 50-200
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 400

Infinity Reference 1050w

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-F9N4l8c...520&I=1081050W
Size 10 -inch
Impedance 4 ohms
Cone Material Polypropylene
Surround Material Rubber
Sensitivity 91dB
Frequency Response 25 - 0.4k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 60-250
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 1000

Alpine SWE-1042

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-oixzZzR...0&I=500SWE1042
Size 10 -inch
Impedance 4 ohms
Cone Material Kevlar Reinforced Pulp
Surround Material Santoprene Rubber
Sensitivity 87dB
Frequency Response 32 - 1k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 50-250
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 750

Kicker Comp 05C104

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-oixzZzR...520&I=2065C104
Size 10 -inch
Impedance 4 ohms
Cone Material Polymineral
Surround Material Stitched Foam
Sensitivity 87.3dB
Frequency Response 30 - 0.5k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 50-150
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 300

Last edited by TRIZ; 03-11-2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Changed lineup + added specs
Old 03-11-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stearic is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd personally go with the alpine 10" sub, but i'd go with the type-r instead of the type-e. They are the best over all from everything i've read and everyone i've talked to have said the same.
Old 03-11-2007
hvc
Registered!!

hvc is an unknown quantity at this point
Out of that list, I'd go with the Alpine.
I'm guessing you don't want subs that pack alot of power, and you're leaning towards more of a clean bass sound? You should check out some of the infinity subs, or the Alpine R's.

Also, depending on your deck, you might not need to install the ****. Some decks come with subwoofer control, allowing you to completely turn off your subs, or turn them full. Just so you know.
Old 03-11-2007
Registered!!

PowerWheels86 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah definitely go for the alpine's RF and Kicker's have more bump but that doesn't seem to be what you are looking for... and hvc is right if you have an aftermarket receiver with a sub out connection then you can control the subs straight from there... if not you could just connect a switch on the remote wire that runs to the amp and just disable the subs with the switch... that's what i do in my car... hahaha
Old 03-11-2007
Registered!!

TheMoogly is on a distinguished road
Out of that list I like the top pick of the Punch series... I am really impressed at the thump they produce... I personally am a fan of MTX, though.

Old 03-11-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
To be honest I'd like the best of both worlds. When I'm just driving, I'd like to have that clean bass that adds the punch to the music, but then when I'm pissed off for one reason or another, I'd like to bump it, ya know?

The moogly.. thats an interesting placement of everything. Looks lke you raised the floor and the sub drops down into the spare tire area.. I'm guessing you could still keep your spare in there? What was that red grill supposed to be orig., or was it ment to be a speaker grill in the first place?

Still looking for more suggestions about the subs.

UPDATE: I added the reference one and dropped the stage 1 punch.

Last edited by TRIZ; 03-11-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2007
Premium Member

BUMP... whats good ppls??
Old 03-13-2007
hvc
Registered!!

I've never heard the reference series, but the kappa's and perfect kappa's are nice subs for a decent price. They provide crisp and clean power. I personally have P kappa's in my trunk, and it's more than enough power, but very clean and i like them.

Of that list, Alpine or Infinity still. Look into the p kappa's if they fit your price range.
Old 03-15-2007
hvc
Registered!!

Made any decisions yet?
Old 03-17-2007
Premium Member

I think I'm going with kicker compvx or compvr series 12 incher... My friend gets a rediculous discount on it, and he owes me =). Also a kicker amp- ZX series, 06zx4001 or 06zx7501. Looks like it would cost a total of 1000 bucks for each, but I'd be getting away from abouot 300. I dont know exactly what I want yet. Needs to be special ordered anyways and drop shipped to my house. =)
Old 03-19-2007
hvc
Registered!!

Your compvx runs 750W RMS, where both amps put out 200 rms and 375 rms at 4 ohms respectively to how you listed them. The Compvr runs 400W RMS at 4 ohms. This means both amps are a little underpowered of what the subs should be receiving.

Of the two, i'd go with the 7501, and the compvr, although i can honestly say i've never heard a kicker sub, or read anything about their quality. I guess if you're set with kicker, then start doing a little research. If your friend is an employee at a place that sells infinity, i'd recomment the perfect kappa 10.1. I think recommended is 350rms, but it can handle way more than that, and would be perfect for your 7501 amp.
Old 03-21-2007
Registered!!

Physpher is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: YOUR input on these subs

Your compvx runs 750W RMS, where both amps put out 200 rms and 375 rms at 4 ohms respectively to how you listed them. The Compvr runs 400W RMS at 4 ohms. This means both amps are a little underpowered of what the subs should be receiving.

Of the two, i'd go with the 7501, and the compvr, although i can honestly say i've never heard a kicker sub, or read anything about their quality. I guess if you're set with kicker, then start doing a little research. If your friend is an employee at a place that sells infinity, i'd recomment the perfect kappa 10.1. I think recommended is 350rms, but it can handle way more than that, and would be perfect for your 7501 amp.
the kicker amps go with the cea 2006 specs. they do put out 400 and 750 watts in a real life application. the CVR would only need the 400 but if you are looking to go either the CVX or the possibility of expanding, the 750 should be your choice.

kicker sounds badass. the quality is actually a lot better than i thought it would be. if i need to turn it down i can, but then if a kid with 20 sony xplod's comes bumpin, i could just crank it halfway and send him home.