I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

How do I install this new auto dimming mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
customer is an unknown quantity at this point
How do I install this new auto dimming mirror?

I bought a auto dimming, compass, temperature rearview mirror for my 2007 Honda Civic, It is fairly easy to install except for one thing, there are air bags in the front windshield pillars. How do I string the wires along side the air bags without setting them off or obstructing them from working? Is there a breakdown on how to remove the covers on the web somewhere as to expose the airbags, or can you simply tuck the wires behind the molding? What I'm trying to say here is, how do I run the wires from the mirror down through the windshield pillar posts?

Thank you,

Don

Last edited by customer; 03-01-2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Left a word out
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

urwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really nice
basically you would route the wiring BEHIND the airbags themselves. it would be helpful to follow any existing wiring. and ziptie your wires to them but make sure the airbags can still deploy.

i believe everything just pulls off like normal pillars. probably would help to take the weather stripping out of the door opening by pulling down on it. this helps you get a better view and more leverage to what youre pulling at.
Old 03-17-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
^ and after your done, to test if your air bags work, crash into something.

Did you get this taken care of?
Old 03-21-2007
Registered!!

Physpher is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How do I install this new auto dimming mirror?

we just take a flathead screwdriver and GENTLY tuck it under the bags. i havent done a civic's but the 300 and other cars are just like that. i can't stress to be careful. if we set off an airbag, we get fired... mucho expensive.
Old 04-07-2007
Registered!!

Thanks for the information, I finally installed the mirror, and it works very well. But now I have another problem. I bought a retrofit For my 07 Honda Civic to fasten the mirror to the windshield. The problem is the mirror vibrates, and I don't know how to stop it. Do you have any ideas?

Last edited by customer; 04-07-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2007
Registered!!

Stearic is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you know what is causing it to vibrate?
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

Yes, it's the retrofit cam lock. It won't tighten up enough to make the mirror solid. I thought of drilling holes, or elongating the holes, as so to let the wedge go up higher. I just thought, if anybody installed one of these things, that they would come up with a better idea. I may end up buying a new adapter Kit. Hopefully this would fix the problem.

If anybody out there has had this same problem, and fixed it, please let me know how you did it.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2007
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Physpher
we just take a flathead screwdriver and GENTLY tuck it under the bags. i havent done a civic's but the 300 and other cars are just like that. i can't stress to be careful. if we set off an airbag, we get fired... mucho expensive.
I had a dream that happened to me once.. Okay so this is totally stealing the thread but I have to share.. I had a dream I installed a remote starter in a 300C.. afterward, I went to remote start it....every single airbag went off! And then I woke up. lol

Anyway, what brand of mirror is it? We install these things at work but I've never had an issue with it vibrating but the ones we have are the windshield mount style.. just some special glue and it's done.
Old 08-09-2010
Registered!!

Mavrick272 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody every installed an auto-dim with compass on a 6th gen? Any idea which one to buy that would install like the stock one (3 Phillips screws)