Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

E Brake adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CMSTONE47 is an unknown quantity at this point
E Brake adjustment

So I bought my first civic Si last night. It's an 07 in pretty good shape. I noticed though that when i pull the e brake, it needs to be pulled pretty high up before it begins to click. Is this just an adjustment that need's to be made?

Thank's
Chris
Old 02-21-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: E Brake adjustment

Do the parking brakes work? If yes then there is an adjustment for the cables. I honestly don't recall where it leaves on the Z handle parking brake cars. I suspect it is under the center console. It is usually where the 2 cable come together after they have entered the passenger compartment.
Old 02-21-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

it needs to be pulled pretty high up before it begins to click
Pulled high before it starts clicking, or pulled high before it engages brakes?

If you really mean that as you typed it out, that's not an adjustment issue, it's normal for the car.
Old 02-23-2017
Registered!!

Okay so it only clicks like 3 times when its pulled all the way up. I realized last night tho that even when i was on a very slight slope, almost flat, the ebrake wouldnt stop the car from rolling even when pulled fully up.
Old 02-23-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Pull all 4 wheels and check the brake pads. Good thing to do anyway on a new used car to you. Spins the wheels and make sure they are smooth and tight. Look for any damage or leaks. While you are under there with it on good jack stand. Look at everything else. Running, look for exhaust leaks. Check CV joints and that wheels do not have any play at tie rod ends.

If you do not know what you are looking at, pay someone who does. Translate what pretty good shape means to you?
Old 02-23-2017
Registered!!

Dropping the car off at my mechanic saturday morning for a full inspection of the car. I explained what was going on and he said he'll take care of it. Thanks for the help
Old 02-23-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CMSTONE47
Okay so it only clicks like 3 times when its pulled all the way up. I realized last night tho that even when i was on a very slight slope, almost flat, the ebrake wouldnt stop the car from rolling even when pulled fully up.
I gotta ask now....

That handbrake handle will make like 20+ clicks (guessing) as it's pulled from zero to max..... You only get it to 3 clicks and what, the handle stops there?

If the handle stops dead at 3 clicks with no braking action, it's probably gonna be either stuck cables or stuck mechanisms in the rear calipers.........(maybe pads seized due to rust?)

Or maybe you aren't pulling hard enough to make it work?
(some people just don't pull hard enough to apply the brakes manually, put some real muscle into it)

I can usually pull the handbrake to the end of its travel even when the brakes were fully applied at only 5 clicks.....