Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Leaky tires/corroded rims?

Old 02-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supertech is an unknown quantity at this point
Leaky tires/corroded rims?

I've got a 2008 Civic EX Coupe with stock rims. For quite a while (longer than I can remember) I've had trouble with 2 tires constantly losing air. Over a week pressure on one will drop from 32 to 27 or less. The other is about half as slow. I've remounted tires, put new valve stems in, replaced valve cores, no luck. Tires have been inspected numerous times, no nails, etc. No bubbles when inflated high and tested in in water tub.
I've read elsewhere that the rims can get corroded and prevent a good bead seal. Short of replacing expensive wheels is there any way to polish/refinish the rim to correct corrosion caused air leak? Does anyone know if Honda has any recall or extended warranty for this issue?
Old 02-21-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Leaky tires/corroded rims?

Being 08 you have TPMS correct ?

Did you replace the metal threaded nuts, and rubber washers. And clean the threads on TPMS units ??
Old 02-21-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Aluminum corrosion is very common and can affect any aluminum wheel after years of use. Steel wheels too.
Recall or warranty? LOLNope.

Soapy water would show the leaks if you are patient enough.

Leaks are common around the valve stems too. Wheel corrosion and/or TPMS stem corrosion.

Remove the tires, grind/sand/clean all traces of corrosion out of the bead areas and stem area if necessary. Then you can preserve the aluminum however you see fit, or slather the areas with bead sealer and install the tires. Good for a few more years. Repeat with every tire replacement.
Old 02-21-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I have had a "flat wheel" in the past on one of my cars... It was leaking from a crack on the wheel, so not unheard of.