Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Lightest rims and questions about stretched tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stussey21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightest rims and questions about stretched tires

Hello, I have a 06 civic lx sedan and I was just looking to get pointed in the right direction to start looking for rims that are lightweight but won't crack during the winter, also I wanted to know does stretching your tires actually do anything or is it just another thing that looks cool and makes your car drive like ****? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-18-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lightest rims and questions about stretched tires

also I wanted to know does stretching your tires actually do anything or is it just another thing that looks cool and makes your car drive like ****?
I see you already know the answer to this part.
Old 10-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

If you mean putting a narrow tire on a wide rim, not sure how that looks cool in any way shape or form. Plus it's dangerous for the installer and for the driver.

Personally I think it looks really really stupid and pretty much guarantees you will curb the wheel since there is no tire bulge to protect it.

But if this is your idea of cool, go for it. (keeps the tire shops in business)
Old 10-19-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

^ that is a stupid amount of tire stretch and camber!!!

The reason for the tire stretching is to help clear the fender and get the rim "hella flush" to the edge of the fender.

You will want to buy a high quality wheel if you want it to be strong and light. Enkei makes some strong light wheels for a decent price. Konig also.
Old 10-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stussey21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the help
Old 10-22-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Hella flush people arnen't into streetable function and definitely not into racing performance.

You usually go to wider aftermarket rims because they can handle a wider tire profile for grip... why would you use a wider rim and stretch a smaller tire?

Just like their camber, it is odd looking and get attention but you would loose grip rather than gain grip by running your camber that negative.

You also can't turn your wheels at speed when you're that low because they will nock your front end off. ...unless you modify the front end =D.
Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Stussey21
Hello, I have a 06 civic lx sedan and I was just looking to get pointed in the right direction to start looking for rims that are lightweight but won't crack during the winter, also I wanted to know does stretching your tires actually do anything or is it just another thing that looks cool and makes your car drive like ****? Thanks in advance for any help.
I don't think lightweight rims will do much for you unless you are trying to shave a 1/10th off your lap time. In other words, you won't notice any difference.

I would not recommend stretching or cambering any car. There is a reason you do not see "hella flush" cars at the SEMA show, car races, car dealers or respectable human beings garages. It is because it is dangerous, cosmetic only and handles like **** on a stick. You will only see "hella flush" cars at shows and meets, because that is all they are good for.

So, I will let you decide if that sounds like a good idea.

My recommendation is to put your $ under the hood, maybe a quality suspension instead.