Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

2007 Civic wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pcpro215 is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Civic wheel studs

Hi all,

I was just curious if the wheel studs on an 07 civic are prone to seizing or freezing of any sort?

The reason I ask is because I recently snapped one off because it was seized up (the stud broke off inside the lug nut), and I had it replaced by the shop that rotates my tires. A little over a week later, it had become seized back on the wheel stud again. I did not snap the stud off however.

It only seems to be the ones on the front, as the back is just fine.

Anyone have any sort of issues with their civic and wheel studs/lug nuts?

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 Civic wheel studs

No, lugnut and stud problems are 99% human caused.
I'd probably want to scrutinize the person that last touched the lugnuts as it sounds like they were severely overtightened.
Old 10-20-2015
Registered!!

Yeah. That's what I figured.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezone
No, lugnut and stud problems are 99% human caused.
I'd probably want to scrutinize the person that last touched the lugnuts as it sounds like they were severely overtightened.
+1

If they didn't use a torque wrench on all of your lugs then they are doing it wrong. If you see them using a impact gun, then call them out on it, they know they are being dirtbags when they put it on with the gun.

99% of tire shops are lazy and do not take the time to properly torque wheel lugs, I have to specifically ask for them to do it and watch them, or they will hammer it on with the impact gun.

I hate it, because tire changes are the only time I have to take Toshi to a shop and have dunces touch her. I prefer to bring the wheels down already the car, so that they don't jack stuff up.
Old 10-22-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
+1

If they didn't use a torque wrench on all of your lugs then they are doing it wrong. If you see them using a impact gun, then call them out on it, they know they are being dirtbags when they put it on with the gun.

99% of tire shops are lazy and do not take the time to properly torque wheel lugs,
This Dirtbag uses torque sticks religiously.

There are plenty of mechanics around me that just gun them on with no attempt at torquing.
Got another one or two that use the sticks but can't even get all of the lugnuts tight using the torque sticks.
And when I point this out to anyone, I'm the d!ck.

Then there's some idiot that managed to hammer on a set of wheel locks so tight that we broke like 3 keys on it trying to get them off
(it was not on a Honda product though)
Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

Here's the weird part. I can get it to turn up until about 1/3rd of the way (when I'm removing it). After that is when it gets tight and seizes up...
Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pcpro215
Here's the weird part. I can get it to turn up until about 1/3rd of the way (when I'm removing it). After that is when it gets tight and seizes up...
That sound like it's cross threaded, also a issue that needs fixing.
Old 10-22-2015

Originally Posted by pcpro215
That's not weird, that's straight up butchered.
It's also dangerous.
Send it back to the last person that installed the lugnuts and make them fix their error.(unless you did it yourself).

Usual scenario: The stud gets stretched by overtightening, then the nut jams up as it tries to pass back over the stretched threads.

Or the tapered end of the nut collapses on the threads when it is buried into the taper on the wheel.

Wrong lug nuts with straight taper (most cars) instead of ball-seat (Honda/Acura) can cause problems like this too.