Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

recommend snow tires

Old 09-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
twd000 is an unknown quantity at this point
recommend snow tires

Hello, I recently moved from Arizona to New Hampshire and I'm told I would be wise to invest in a set of snow tires for my 2010 Civic.

Can anyone make a recommendation of what brand to buy, and where to buy them?

Do I get 4 tires mounted on steel wheels and mount them myself, or just buy 4 tires and take them into the shop to have them mounted?

But online at Tire Rack, or a local shop?

Discount Tire, or some other place?
Old 09-04-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: recommend snow tires

Blizzak are one of the top names in snow tires. Check reviews online of different brands.

I use tire rack but my local NTB price matches them so I just buy directly from them. Whatever is cheapest.

You can but steel wheels and tires from TR already mounted and balanced which saves time from going to a shop and waiting.
Old 09-04-2015
Registered!!

thanks for the reply. I'm reading up on the various different Blizzak versions.

Do you recommend matching the existing tire size? I have read elsewhere that a smaller snow tire will improve traction
Old 09-04-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Anything that will improve traction is a plus to me. I had never heard that. Is that smaller diameter, sidewall or width? I would think you would want the widest tire you could fit on the rim to help with traction.

If you do get a smaller diameter wheel just make sure to match your tire size accordingly to not throw off your speedo.
Old 09-04-2015
Registered!!

Tire Rack's Preferred Winter Packages* often feature alternate sizes that combine smaller diameter wheels (that fit over the vehicle's Original Equipment brakes and within its wheelwell) with narrower, higher profile tires (that have equivalent load capacities and overall diameters). This not only promotes better deep snow traction, but also results in less expensive Winter / Snow Tire & Wheel Packages. An additional advantage higher profile tire sizes offer is they feature taller sidewalls and smaller diameter wheels that more easily resist damage associated with winter road hazards and early spring potholes.
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=126
Old 09-05-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, what they are suggesting is if you have 16" summers then go down to 15" winters with taller sidewalls. Makes sense. Also narrower tires will put the weight down in a smaller footprint than a wider tire helping with traction. Personally I run the same size tires summer and winter and have no difficulty with traction. I do run a fairly premium set of winters though. My car has ABS and rarely does it ever kick on in winter driving condition just because the tires are so grippy. Manual transmission and good winter driving habits as well.
Old 09-06-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Buy steel rims and mount them once, it will save you soooo much money.

A set of used steelies and mounting the tires once, is cheap compared to

-The cost to mount the tires
-balance the tires
-your time waiting (20 minutes +)
-the risk that the tires will be damaged while mounting

...and you have to go throw all of that twice a year

where as if you have two sets of rims you should only be charged for a tire rotation, twice a year which takes 8 minutes and costs way less.
Old 09-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GolNat
Anything that will improve traction is a plus to me. I had never heard that. Is that smaller diameter, sidewall or width? I would think you would want the widest tire you could fit on the rim to help with traction.

If you do get a smaller diameter wheel just make sure to match your tire size accordingly to not throw off your speedo.
Wider doe not mean more traction, especially in the snow. Sometimes pizza cutters stick better!

I would go with the stock width/diameter or skinnier in the snow and just get the cheapest snow tires I could find. Good all seasons work decently if you don't want to change them 2 times a year.

I agree to get a set of steelies to put them on.
Old 10-04-2015
Registered!!

BryanM. is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Maine and let me tell you snow tires are the best investment for a car up here.

I feel that General Altimax Arctic studable snow tires are one of the best bang-for-the-buck snow tires available.

Blizzaks are great, but for the money I would rather go with and Nokian snow tire instead.