Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

outer edge of rotor NOT contacting pads. AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rgar98 is an unknown quantity at this point
outer edge of rotor NOT contacting pads. AGAIN

I thought I solved this, but I was wrong. About 750 miles ago I replaced the rear rotors/pads on "07 Civic because there was a 1/4" outer edge of BOTH rotors not contacting pads. I thought it was because I did not line up the piston within the caliper the last time I changed pads. I did it properly in November but yesterday I noticed the same thing happening again on one of the rotors.

Don't know what to do next. Sticky caliper piston?

I need some suggestions.

Thanks.

Richard
Old 03-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: outer edge of rotor NOT contacting pads. AGAIN

When you assembled, you visually confirmed the pads are pressed flat and square against the rotors?

Sounds like. Evil. Rust. Once it starts it's tough to stop.
Old 03-22-2015
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rgar98
I thought I solved this, but I was wrong. About 750 miles ago I replaced the rear rotors/pads on "07 Civic because there was a 1/4" outer edge of BOTH rotors not contacting pads. I thought it was because I did not line up the piston within the caliper the last time I changed pads. I did it properly in November but yesterday I noticed the same thing happening again on one of the rotors.

Don't know what to do next. Sticky caliper piston?

I need some suggestions.

Thanks.

Richard
uuhm.. are You using brake parts that are equavalent OEM spec to what was on the vehicle ..?

Speaking of brakes... I did my front brakes yesterday using aftermarket
(ATE pads & rotors) and have no issues what so ever. to report back on.
Old 04-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

My 06 EX stock rotors with stock pads had this 1/8 - 1/4" non contact area. It seems normal I just recently did a major brake upgrade (see my post) we'll see if this develops on the new rotors. If the pads are flatly contacting the rotor as mentioned by Ezone, I think it is a non issue. Just keep an attentive ear out for noises and notice if the none contact area gets considerably bigger on one rotor or wheel side as you rotate your tires. Otherwise drive on and ignore this. Oh non much rust here on the rotors in N TX but still had this condition.