Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Bad Brakes & Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sf3r8z is an unknown quantity at this point
Bad Brakes & Rotors?

I have a 2008 Honda Civic LX. I just looked at a blog with a number of people complaining that Honda Civics in a range of production years including this one have had horrible track records with regard to brake and rotor wear. A number of people complained that they had to have their pads replaced and rotors replaced or resurfaced 2 or 3 times before their car had even 20,000 miles on it. I have less than 20,000 miles on mine and have not yet noticed a problem. Should I have the pads and rotors checked? Shouldn't they last 35 or 40K miles?
Old 04-01-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad Brakes & Rotors?

The lifespan of brakes depends entirely on how one drives.
Everyone drives different, no 2 people will have the same brake life.

Brakes only wear when you use them. If you never use the brakes, they would never wear out.

If you only drive cross-country non stop, your brakes might outlast the car.
If you deliver pizza for a living, your brakes probably aren't going to last long.
(If you drive with your left foot on the brake pedal, that's just a bad habit that costs you money.)

I had a friend that drove a rural paper route (actually 3 routes), 250 miles per night. 1/4 mile to 1 mile between the majority of the stops.
Hammer the gas pedal full blast, then stand the car on its nose to stop.
250 miles of this each night.
He replaced brakes every 2-3 months.

You have an LX, it shouldn't need rear brakes for an incredibly long time. Around here, I figure 5:1 longer than the front brakes, or more . An easy 200,000 miles or more for most people.

The fronts are fairly easy to peek at with a mirror and flashlight while changing the oil (IF you go to a shop that does these things). Otherwise, brakes should be checked every time the tires are rotated--since the wheels are out of the way and all.....
Old 04-01-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you find your brake life is really too short, Honda does offer some front pads that are supposed to have a longer life---but might be a little noisier than the originals.
Old 04-01-2014
Registered!!

Thanks, ezone. Sets my mind a ease for the most part. Got another question though. I'm 70 years old and no longer feel safe changing my own oil or doing any other jobs that involve getting under a car plus my floor jack needs an overhaul. Every time I ask for a recommendation for a good mechanic on this or other auto sites, I get zip. Is it most likely that most people on these sites do most of their own simple jobs and almost never have need of a mechanic or is it that I live in Houston and few people on this and other sites live here? What do you think?
Old 04-01-2014

Every time I ask for a recommendation for a good mechanic on this or other auto sites, I get zip. Is it most likely that most people on these sites do most of their own simple jobs and almost never have need of a mechanic or is it that I live in Houston and few people on this and other sites live here? What do you think?
It's an international forum with relatively few seriously active members, so chances are slim that any of us are near you IMO.

Shop finder? http://autorepair.iatn.net/
Old 04-03-2014
Registered!!

Thanks Ezone. I figured it was something like that. Guess I'll just have to find a good mechanic the hard way.
Old 04-28-2014
Registered!!

1953chuckp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sf3r8z
Thanks, ezone. Sets my mind a ease for the most part. Got another question though. I'm 70 years old and no longer feel safe changing my own oil or doing any other jobs that involve getting under a car plus my floor jack needs an overhaul. Every time I ask for a recommendation for a good mechanic on this or other auto sites, I get zip. Is it most likely that most people on these sites do most of their own simple jobs and almost never have need of a mechanic or is it that I live in Houston and few people on this and other sites live here? What do you think?
I too am almost 70 (69) and do my own brakes and oil-filter. Go to Harbor freight and buy a decent floor jack and a couple of jack stands. You can do it. Really I can do it without putting any important body parts under the car. I know how you feel. If you are dead set against doing it yourself go to a parts store and ask for their recommendation on a honest tech. who will not give you the old dirty air-cabin filter song and dance. Good Luck