Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

How to know a good brand of brakes are used?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torontob is an unknown quantity at this point
How to know a good brand of brakes are used?

Hi everyone,

Honda Civic 2009 DX-G - 140,000KM

My car has been making a grinding noise for the last two weeks when braking. Meaning it's brakes have run out and I have probably damaged the rotors as well. I have the following questions:

1- Is it necessary to change rotors with brake change every-time?
2- I live in Toronto, Ontario - when calling for prices what brand of brakes and rotors what brands or types should I ask for? There seems to be a range of prices for various different types of products (I don't intend to keep this car past June 2015.)
3- What price range should I expect for a job like and do you have any recommended shops in Toronto? (I live on 401/Yonge)

Thanks,
Old 09-29-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to know a good brand of brakes are used?

I can only give you insight to your first question, and the answer is no. You should, however, get them resurfaced, so that the pads have a fresh rotor face to mate with.
Old 09-30-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I would go with OE pads or a "premium" pad and rotor combo from a local parts store. OE pads will be quite and provide a good amount of life and so will the platinum rotors.
Old 09-30-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I can only give you insight to your first question, and the answer is no. You should, however, get them resurfaced, so that the pads have a fresh rotor face to mate with.
Thanks for the input. Pretty much every shop I talked to doesn't do resurfacing - maybe labor costs as much as new rotors? Are you sure this is an option in mechanic shops now-a-days?
Old 09-30-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
I would go with OE pads or a "premium" pad and rotor combo from a local parts store. OE pads will be quite and provide a good amount of life and so will the platinum rotors.
I'd rather not spend anything premium on this car as I am selling it in less than 2 years. Can you please name me some regular pads / rotors? Also, OE is not a brand name right? I would be able to search by brand / type.

Thanks,
Old 09-30-2013
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

The "premium" ones at a NAPA or advance auto or whichever parts store will probably only cost like $10 more for pads than their middle or lower line and you probably don't want to go with their lowest quality stuff.
Old 09-30-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

^ they are only about $10 difference in price and I wouldn't use the lowest grade even if I was selling it. In the 2 years before you sell the car there will likely be brake noise with a lower quality pad/rotor (not always).

Yes Pep-Boys turns rotors for $15 a rotor (around me, maybe not in canada). A new platinum rotor will run about $30 a piece (US $)

Correct OE is not a brand but I was referring to Honda OEM rotors and pads. Last time I did my brakes I used OEM pads and Pep-Boys platinum rotors. I don't know the brand of the rotors since they were in a white plain box but there is probably a supplier that supplies all the rotors for Pep, Advanced, Auto-Zone and the rest.
Old 09-30-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by torontob
Thanks for the input. Pretty much every shop I talked to doesn't do resurfacing - maybe labor costs as much as new rotors? Are you sure this is an option in mechanic shops now-a-days?
Oh, it's definitely an option I have at shops here in Vegas. Like GolNat said, PepBoys here does it (although my PepBoys charges $125/axle if the rotors are installed, $25/rotor if you bring 'em in). I'm not sure what options you have in Canada for resurfacing rotors.
Old 09-30-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I *think* NAPA in canada did do resurfacing.
now, there's a minimum thickness for the rotors, you will need to have them check for it - 140k km is close to enough to end a rotor, unless you drive mostly in highways.
I still have stock rotors at 108 k miles, but i do use the brakes a lot less than most, just throttle control to slow car.
Old 10-02-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
I *think* NAPA in canada did do resurfacing.
now, there's a minimum thickness for the rotors, you will need to have them check for it - 140k km is close to enough to end a rotor, unless you drive mostly in highways.
I still have stock rotors at 108 k miles, but i do use the brakes a lot less than most, just throttle control to slow car.
Called NAPA but they only sell parts in Ontario. Called few other shops and they all tell me $325, $350, $450 (premium).

I was told there is a low level, medium, and high quality brakes / rotors depending on what price value I chose.

I'd rather bring this job to a local shop who I can trust going forward for all jobs so I appreciate input on some local auto mechanic around Yonge St. and Highway 401 or surroundings.

Thanks,