Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Shaking steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torontob is an unknown quantity at this point
Shaking steering wheel

Hi everyone,

I have put all season new tires on my Honda Civic 2009 about two ago I think. I don't think I ever rotated or balanced tires excep for when the new tires were put on.

When I apply breaks the steering wheel shakes. I was also told by couple of my passengers that the car is "uneven" or the tires make "noise". I heard the rotors might need sanding.

What kind of costs and maintenance am I do for? (I don't take the car to Honda dealer for monthly maintenance but to Green & Ross and just do oil changes)

Thanks,
Old 03-31-2013
Registered!!

palsana is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Shaking steering wheel

You do need to balance & rotate all 4 tires. The oldest ones (with most wear on the tires) go on the back of the car. Depending on the wear on the tire technician may refuse to do balancing on your tires. (if less than 2/32 wear; costco will not balance your tires.) Then it will be due for an 4- wheel alignment.
I just bought four new tires from tigerdirect for my 03 civic, before that, i was having trouble driving beyond 60mi/hr on freeways becoz the steering wheel was shaking and making lots of noises. My car bad needs an alignment.
I am wondering if now that i have 4 new tires on my car, is it recommended to have nitrogen filled tires or not!!!!. It costs about $30 to fill up with nitrogen. is it worth it?
Old 03-31-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

When I apply breaks the steering wheel shakes.
Warped rotors. Have the brakes inspected before deciding what to do about it.
I was also told by couple of my passengers that the car is "uneven" or the tires make "noise".
Same person should evaluate the tire condition and make appropriate recommendations based on those observations.
Old 03-31-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by palsana
is it recommended to have nitrogen filled tires or not!!!!. It costs about $30 to fill up with nitrogen. is it worth it?
The only ones that benefit are the ones collecting the money.
Old 04-03-2013
Registered!!

thanx ezone. you still didnt answer my previous question regarding tranny fluid. Upon a third re-built what is an ideal mileage to change transfluid!!!. especially when you dont know what tranny fluid was used on 3rd re-built. i have 186500 mi now & last tranny re-built was at 178700 mi.
Should i even change the tranny fluid at such high mileage on the car.
Old 04-03-2013

thanx ezone. you still didnt answer my previous question regarding tranny fluid. Upon a third re-built what is an ideal mileage to change transfluid!!!. especially when you dont know what tranny fluid was used on 3rd re-built. i have 186500 mi now & last tranny re-built was at 178700 mi.
You have ~8000 miles on this trans, and you already have problems with it? Problems starting this soon after a rebuild indicates to me that something probably went wrong in that build.
You need to return it to the ones that did the work.

Should i even change the tranny fluid at such high mileage on the car.
You have ~8k on the trans.
Car mileage is irrelevant right now.

At the shop we do trans services every 30k on the cars that follow a regular schedule.
We strongly suggest the same on the cars that use maintenance minder, regardless of what the minder suggests.

My personal preference is more often than that.
My mothers' Accord has been getting ATF service with every other oil change.
Old 04-03-2013
Registered!!

jimmycivic is an unknown quantity at this point

no one uses nitrogen for tires any more its def not worth when regular air is free and have your steering always shook after new tires or is it a brand new problem and im pretty sure the rear of those cars are not adjustable for alignment should just be front wheel alignment issues,brakes,bubble in tire,or a joint or rod going on you but most likely just a bubble
Old 04-03-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You have ~8000 miles on this trans, and you already have problems with it? Problems starting this soon after a rebuild inicates to me that something probably went wrong in that build.
You need to return it to the ones that did the work.

You have ~8k on the trans.
Car mileage is irrelevant right now.

At the shop we do trans services every 30k on the cars that follow a regular schedule.
We strongly suggest the same on the cars that use maintenance minder, regardless of what the minder suggests.

My personal preference is more often than that.
My mothers' Accord has been getting ATF service with every other oil change.

Its not that i am having problems with the transmission, its just that i took it to some transmission shops for an evaluation & they came back and told me the tranny fluid is low(not exactly at the upper mark) and besides i am not sure what transmission fluid was used at time of re-built so i kinda want to start FRESH (with new transmission fluid) in it and just wanted to know if at this time a Honda Z1 would have any significant impact versus a Valvoline High mileage or AutoZone/Adv Auto Parts/Tranny fluid. im thinking the tranny fluid i have in my tranny is AutoZone/Adv Auto Part manufactured tranny fluid.So the dilemma i m facing is not that i have an issue with Tranny before 8000 mi but to say the fluid i have in there i just rather change it to a better tranny fluid. The tranny is working just fine at 8k mi it got challenged yesterday in very severe rain/thunderstorm on the freeway yesterday and tranny worked like a charm so far.
Old 04-03-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jimmycivic
no one uses nitrogen for tires any more its def not worth when regular air is free and have your steering always shook after new tires or is it a brand new problem and im pretty sure the rear of those cars are not adjustable for alignment should just be front wheel alignment issues,brakes,bubble in tire,or a joint or rod going on you but most likely just a bubble
Its a 2003 civic ex 4 dr not sure if its only front wheel alignment or 4 wheel alignment?
How can i tell which one i will need? My steering always shook before putting on new tires & right now without having done the alignment just yet but with 4 new tires it jitters and i can feel its not like shaking wild/crazy or anything. The tires i have are General Altimax HP and for some reason there is lots of noise coming from rear driver side wheel.
i put in new brake pad/shoes about 9 mos ago and front lower control arm (both sides) with a new strut mount just 3-4 months ago.
Old 04-03-2013

no one uses nitrogen for tires any more its def not worth when regular air is free
The NASCAR crowd buys it.
So do people with no understanding of the Laws of Physics.
And those with more dollars than sense.

and im pretty sure the rear of those cars are not adjustable for alignment should just be front wheel alignment

Its a 2003 civic ex 4 dr not sure if its only front wheel alignment or 4 wheel alignment?
The cars ARE adjustable in the rear. 4 wheel alignment.

How can i tell which one i will need?
You don't have a choice in our shop. We do what the car needs.

And just because the car can be adjusted at all 4 wheels, doesn't mean all 4 need adjusted. The majority of the cars can and do hold an alignment rather well.

My steering always shook before putting on new tires & right now without having done the alignment just yet but with 4 new tires it jitters and i can feel its not like shaking wild/crazy or anything. The tires i have are General Altimax HP and for some reason there is lots of noise coming from rear driver side wheel.
i put in new brake pad/shoes about 9 mos ago and front lower control arm (both sides) with a new strut mount just 3-4 months ago.
You need a professional evaluation.