Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Newbie please help: 2008 civic lx tire pressure

Old 01-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amjad163 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Newbie please help: 2008 civic lx tire pressure

Hi,

I bought a certified 2008 honda civic lx a week ago. this is my first car . I am wondering how to know when my tire pressure is low . Do I need to buy some tool to measure the pressure once a week manually or is there any in built indicator in the car ? once i know the tire pressure is low, how much air (up to what tire pressure) do i need to fill the tire?

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2012
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Newbie please help: 2008 civic lx tire pressure

You can buy a tire pressure gauge from any auto store, or even Wal-Mart. Your manufacturer recommended tire pressure should be located on the plackard. This is usually either on the driver's side door or in the glove box. I think most of us here use around 34, 35psi. Note that your tire pressure should be checked when cold.
Old 01-29-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MelJ
Note that your tire pressure should be checked when cold.
in other words, driving the car heats tires. 2 miles maybe is the limit for accurate measures?
recommend the gauge pressure ones that have a air press relief button, makes easier to adjust pressure.
Old 01-29-2012
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

A mile or 2 is what I've been told. I'd also like to add that just because a tire looks inflated doesn't mean it's at the proper pressure. My girlfriend does this all the time and her car rides like crap. We go to fill up the tires and she's surprised how much nicer the car actually rides.
Old 01-29-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MelJ
This is usually either on the driver's side door
funny thing is how many people misses that...
Old 01-29-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

RTFM.
IF the car has TPMS, the butt icon "(_!_)" will come on when the tires hit about 26 PSI.
If your tire pressure is too high, the light comes on again at about 51.9 PSI.
So there is a lot of leeway for playing with tire pressures.

I use an ATEQ TPMS tool for checking what the sensors think the pressures are.
I also have to verify that with an ordinary tire pressure gauge.

You regular consumer type people can still use commercially available tire pressure checking tools available at Walmarts everywhere for a cheap price:
Please be aware that these aren't always very accurate. They are good enough for most people.

Yes, tires should be checked cold. This means after the car has sat overnight, and before the sun has heated them up too.
Tire pressures change with temperatures, both the tire/wheel temp and the ambient temp. A common rule of thumb is one PSI change for every ten degrees.

I deal with cars where the owners never ever check anything on their own. I try to anticipate weather conditions ahead and raise tire pressures accordingly.
I DO NOT WANT a customer coming back in because the low tire light came on after the temperature dropped outside.

Your tire pressure placard should look similar to this, in the drivers door jamb area. Open the door and look.

Tire pressure info is on page 254 of an owners manual for a 4 door sedan or 255 and 257 for a 2 door.
There is also a section that explains TPMS.
Look in the index under "Tires" and "TPMS" in yours.
Old 01-31-2012
Registered!!

johng35 is an unknown quantity at this point

your year and model should also be 32 psi front and rear check the door jamb- this is a decent sized label not intended to be missed or hidden.

FYI check the spare while you are at it.
I did not check mine for over a year, and it was down to about 29 PSI, should have been at 60. Don't want to find out at the wrong time when you need it.