Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Room room rolling noise!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fonzie91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Room room rolling noise!!

I just bought 18 inch wheels with some cheap "triangle" brand tires. I know it's better to buy excellent brand tires but I'm keeping these triangles temporarily since theyre "new". My problem is.....as soon as I got these wheels installed I accelerated to 30 mph an I heard a rolling sound like ruuuuuuuu. Lol as I go over 50 u can't hear it too much. The guy who I bought the wheels off of said 18 inches on a civic is a big upgrade from stocks so changes will be felt..but the noise bothers me....could it be the cheap tires? Or could the wheels simply be too big for my civic? It's a 2011 civic sedan.... All stock
Old 09-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Room room rolling noise!!

It's not because the wheels are larger, the sound is most likely being caused by the cheap tires. If the sound is not totally consistent and is a bit more of a rumbling sound then the hub size of the rim could be the wrong diameter.
Old 09-02-2011
Registered!!

Wow really? The sound is at it's loudest when it's exactly at 29 mph. Its like a rooooooooooooo noise....like a pipe rolling down a pavement... And it's so hard to steer the car now...it feels much heavier and stiffer at the driving wheel...maybe it IS the tires... :/
Old 09-02-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

not to mention the tires for 18s will be paper thin compared to stock. you will hear every noise and feel every pebble in the road.
Old 09-02-2011
Registered!!

Youre Right. I should of got 17 inch instead of 18...but is there anything I can do about the rolling noise? U guys think it's the cheap tires? Or the wheels and tires being too big for a civic? I didn't lower the car btw
Old 09-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

If it's consistent it's the tires, no question.

Keep in mind, people are willing to pay $1200 for a good set of tires because they affect road noise, handling, braking, acceleration, traction on wet roads and etcetera. If the rims are heavy and the tires have smaller side walls that will affect the way the car drives, but not create significant road noise.

I'd suggest buying a decent tire like yoko s.drives or toyo t1R and flipping the junk tires on craigslist; the importance of good tires absolutely cannot be understated, remember, they're the only part of your vehicle with thousands of components that actually touches the road.
Old 09-02-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well its a combination of both. new tires (good brand) will prolly cut down on a lot of the roughness and noise, but not completely. it will be a big improvement tho. tires can be night and day different.
Old 09-02-2011
Registered!!

Wow thanks to both of you guys. I actually do believe it's the damn tires. I think I'm gonna fetch myself some new tires then. If I use these tires for a month or so will the noise somehow damage the car? And are mitchellin tires good enough?
Old 09-02-2011
Premium Member

michelins are pretty good normally. and no you wont damage anything with cheap tires, it will just be a hard and noisy ride.
Old 09-02-2011
Registered!!

Thanks a lot. I'll gather some money and see if I can find used tires with my measurement...if not then I guess new (: I hope the tires at least eliminate MOST of the noise... People stare at my car like if it's a wagon lol
Old 09-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fonzie91
Wow thanks to both of you guys. I actually do believe it's the damn tires. I think I'm gonna fetch myself some new tires then. If I use these tires for a month or so will the noise somehow damage the car? And are mitchellin tires good enough?
Michelin makes a wide selection of tires, but generally they're a decent brand. Check out the reviews on tirerack to decide what tire you feels suits your budget and needs best.

No, they won't damage your car, they'll just drive you to the brink of sanity. Generally speaking though, once it starts getting a bit colder the noise won't be as bad.
Old 09-03-2011
Registered!!

Thank u both again. I will look at that site now (: