Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Steering issue with rims??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011
B***H GOD cant stop me I'm in it to Win it!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SocalGreenz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Steering issue with rims??

Hey guys,
I just bought this 2002 civic coupe LX from my brother. He put on 17" motegi racing wheels w/Goodyear low pro tires on the car since day one. They look sick and all... but, when I'm getting on the freeway and start going from 60-73mph my steering wheel shakes like crazy. It freaks me out because I have Z-rated tires on there, an occasionally while the steering wheel is shaking from me the tires catch a path from the lines an wants to go either to my left or right super hard. Let me know what you think I can or should do. Ill try to upload some pictures later to you can see what they look like if you don't know what time talking about.
-thanks

and sorry if someone asked this already iv been searching for weeks trying to find someone that might have the same problem or better yet a solution to my problem.
Old 03-01-2011
Registered!!

jrb121180 will become famous soon enough
Re: Steering issue with rims??

Could be a couple of things. They might be out of balance. You could have thrown a weight. Look on the inside of the rim and see if any of those little weights are missing. Or you could have a rim that is out of round. If you or your bro has hit a pothole recently, and it has to be a fairly good hit, it may have bent a rim which in turn will give you a wicked vibration. Anyone else have any ideas i may have missed?
Old 03-01-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

High speed shimmy can also be caused by lack of centric rings, wheels off kilter on the hub or lugnuts not tightened symmetrically.

Thread needs to be moved to 7th gen.
Old 03-01-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

High speed shimmy can also be caused by lack of centric rings, wheels off kilter on the hub or lugnuts not tightened symmetrically.

Thread needs to be moved to 7th gen.
Old 03-27-2011
Registered!!

speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Other than installation there are a lot of front end parts that can be worn out and need to be checked. Inner and outer tie rod ends are a common culprit.

-SP