Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2007 civic hybrid motor mounts continually breaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cassaruby is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 civic hybrid motor mounts continually breaking

My mechanic replaced my 07 hybrid motor mounts (non OEM) 4 times and 2 more broke again, all within a 2 year period. Probably started at around >140,000 miles and I'm at 160,000 now.

The IMA battery was depleted around 115,000 miles and I haven't replaced/replenished them. The auto-stop disabled so when I come to stops I have vibration. When the code for that is removed the auto-stop is active until the code turns back on.

Mechanic thinks the motor mounts are failing because of the auto-stop issue. Any ideas?
Old 03-14-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 civic hybrid motor mounts continually breaking

Aftermarket mounts, not factory?

How are they failing? What part of the mount goes bad? Which mount(s) are going bad?

If you have aftermarket mounts, you will probably always have more vibration than with Honda mounts.
If the transmission is acting up, it could cause vibration. Try putting the shifter in neutral at stops and see if the vibration is much different.
Old 03-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cassaruby is an unknown quantity at this point

They are aftermarket from O'Reillys. They were manufactured by anchor. Manufacturer just changed to power torque.

I believe the right motor mount goes first and then the motor mount under the engine and the left last.

On the right motor mount my mechanic said the mount bracket that goes transmission breaks,which is an aluminum piece.

The most recent break on the right now broke at rubber mount.

The lower mount looks like it snapped.

Mechanic thinks it's the ima battery with the auto stop causing the vibration making it kick hard enough to break it. Is there anything else that could cause so many motor mounts to break?
Old 03-20-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Mechanic thinks it's the ima battery with the auto stop causing the vibration making it kick hard enough to break it.
Mechanic is incorrect....the engine idling at a stop light (like every other non-hybrid car on the road) instead of shutting off the engine at the stop, can't break mounts.....

I don't hear anybody else complaining about breaking mounts......

Even if the idle stop were still working with a good IMA battery, it's no more stressful on the mounts than a normal startup and gear engagement and takeoff.

Is there anything else that could cause so many motor mounts to break?
I think the problem is the aftermarket mounts.

What caused the original factory mounts to go bad? Were they ALL bad?

I'd probably want to do a little checking on the car just to make sure it hasn't been crashed and somehow has the subframe/body tweaked wrong in relation to the drivetrain mounts (causing misalignment or binding, unusual stress on the mounts)

Assuming the above is all okay.....
Put a set of factory Honda mounts in there and I bet your broken mount problems will be gone (until those wear out).
Not as cheap as aftermarket....and that's probably why the aftermarket parts got installed in the first place. Right?

Also note, high heat areas (desert SW?) can cause rubber parts (bushings, etc.) to wear out quicker than cold climates. I was amazed the first time I ever saw underneath a car from the desert LOL.