Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Grinding noise when starting car

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arcadius is an unknown quantity at this point
Grinding noise when starting car

I have an '06 Civic LX and I had recently installed a rebuilt transmission and brand new clutch. The problem before was that my input shift messed up from apparently over hauling my old clutch. Mind you this car has 300k + on it.

So anytime I started the car, especially on cold mornings, the car would make this soul wrenching grind and also the rattling sound of the input shaft when the clutch was engaged from inside the car. And since the input shaft was damage, whenever you accelerated there was this "whirling" sound that increased with how much gas you gave the car.

So now, after I did my tranny and clutch replacement a couple days ago, I start my car and I hear that damn grind again. I have no clue as to what it could be. The input shaft doesn't make any sound anymore from the inside, but the grinding came back. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about
Re: Grinding noise when starting car

You mentioned "when starting car", starter issues? Not much manual trans experience ezone will know.
Old 03-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I start my car and I hear that damn grind again
Got a recording of this sound?

Needs a new starter? Inspect the teeth of the flywheel for damage?
Old 03-19-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 06 EX Mild Mods
You mentioned "when starting car", starter issues? Not much manual trans experience ezone will know.

I was doing some research and saw that it could probably be that. Still looking around to see what else I could find
Old 03-19-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Got a recording of this sound?

Needs a new starter? Inspect the teeth of the flywheel for damage?
Unfortunately, no I nevery really got the chance to ****** a recording of the sound. It happens at the most random times. So far I haven't heard anything from the past that, but if I get the chance I'll post it