Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Noise just before stopping hard

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oragex is an unknown quantity at this point
Noise just before stopping hard

Hello everybody, new to this forum

I drive this 2014 Civic for my job, I think it's the base engine. it has about 5000 miles on it, automatic. I usually brake harder at the stops, and then accelerate just before the car would come to a complete stop. Right when I take my foot off the brake pedal, I hear and 'feel' this 'thump' somewhere near the engine/transmission and it feels like something there 'moves' forward at that moment. This happens only at a harder stop.

Any ideas?
Old 03-08-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: Noise just before stopping hard

Probably just the transmission trying to catch up from being driven like a race car. Hope you don't expect it to last very long doing that to it. It or the next yellow light runner will finish it off in short order.
Old 03-08-2017
Registered!!

It seems like transmission indeed. I guess that's what automatic transmissions do, the car is driven normally but I have to make short braking distances in areas with lots of stops. Hopefully it doesn't damage the transmission.
Old 03-09-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Years ago these cars had typicial 3, 4 and more clutches that engaged and disengaged very quit to lock in each gear change. Now they have a a pulley system with a V link belt. It changes ratio one pulley getting smaller and the other getting larger. So when you get the car in the higher faster range, slam on the brake to slow down and then nail it, my guess is it snatches down. Not positive. RIP's new car actually takes a micro second longer then the previous older CRV backing out of garage and pulling into drive.

You truly need the next generation transmission which is a regular gear shifts but has computer controlled clutches. Not sure however if what you are doing would make it last any longer. It's on a lot of high dollar sports cars. It's on my friends Smart Car.

Maybe some smart one on here it make a suggestion to what your are doing. If I was concerned about car lasting a long life, I would hit the brake and at the transition where you normally nail it drift just a tad bit further and come down on throttle a little slower till all is wound down which probably loads one side of the belt and your added acceleration loads up the other side if that is what it is doing. Usually when you are flogging mechanical stuff so hard it makes loud noises, it is doing more load and wear.
Old 03-09-2017
Registered!!

Good advice. I started letting it roll just a little longer, so now it doesn't make that 'slam' feel. I can adapt driving it like this, and it's surely better for other suspension components as well. Just taking care of it so it lasts longer