Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine vibration 1500-1700rpm

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chuffsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine vibration 1500-1700rpm

My sons 2010 Civic LXS just broke 40k miles. I am am noticing a slight increase in engine vibration though between 1500-1700 rpm as indicated on the tach. Conditions are , still , in Park or neutral . air cond off or on , does not matter. As I s-l-o-w-l-y increase rpms as soon as it hits those rpms the vibration is more noticeable. The car does not shake like an out of balance wheel condition would. If fact it is not noticeable during normal driving as you go through those rpms or even if driving between that range. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.
P.S.
My initial observation was during a stop at a light and I wanted to get a little more cooling by the air cond , and so I started to slowly increase the rpms for the compressor to work a bit more.
Ideas?
Old 03-01-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine vibration 1500-1700rpm

between 1500-1700 rpm
it is not noticeable during normal driving as you go through those rpms or even if driving between that range.
Probably nothing to worry about if you don't notice it while driving.

The relatively narrow RPM range makes me think it might just be resonance.

You could check the engine mount on the passengers fender, see if it may be collapsing....but that usually makes a lot of racket when it collapses.
Old 03-01-2017
Registered!!

Thanks, I'll take a look at that mount and report back. It may just as you mentioned , some sort of resonance.
Old 03-02-2017
Registered!!

Ezone, I rented a toyota corolla today and while in park brought the rpms up slowly and sure enough at about 1800-1900 rpms the same thing happened. I am pretty sure as you said that it is just resonance.