Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hard Starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prplglide is an unknown quantity at this point
Hard Starting

I have a 07 civic coupe LX with almost 120K on the odo. Recently, I've started experiencing some hard starting issues in cold weather (below 25 F). If I turn the key to start the engine, it will crank really slowly (turns over maybe 2x) and the dies. If I wait a few seconds after that, it starts right up.

The battery is only a few months old and I also recently took the car on a 4 hour trip (one way) and had no issues with it starting after it sat in the motel parking lot for several days (temps were't very cold, but did get colder than 25 F).

After doing some research, this seems to be a fairly common problem with civics, and Hondas in general. I also was reading threads in http://honda-tech.co...e-else-2221261/ and http://www.8thcivic....ld-weather.html and both kind of pointed to the same thing; an issue with fuel circulation due to cold weather.

I was thinking that maybe the starter was starting to go, and when it didn't want to start, it simply hit the spot, in the starter, where the brushes are starting to wear out.

I'm not so sure on that theory anymore, hence this post.

Any gurus out there have any other theories they'd like to share?

Thanks.

Update:

Battery was load tested at WalMart and came back good. Car still does not start. I'm leaning towards the starter or relay,

Last edited by prplglide; 02-26-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-26-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hard Starting

Slooooow cranking speed but battery is good..... usually needs a starter.

I'd want to do some voltage drop testing to make sure there isn't a poor connection problem before tossing a starter at it. The ground cable attachment point on the body can be troublesome (corrosion, rust) along with the ground cable bolted immediately behind it on the body (grounds transmission to body)
Old 02-26-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Slooooow cranking speed but battery is good..... usually needs a starter.

I'd want to do some voltage drop testing to make sure there isn't a poor connection problem before tossing a starter at it. The ground cable attachment point on the body can be troublesome (corrosion, rust) along with the ground cable bolted immediately behind it on the body (grounds transmission to body)
Thanks for the reply!

You mentioned the ground cable attachment to the body as a possible issue; is this fairly easy to get at, without having to be contortionist (LOL)?

I'd like to check that out first.

Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Open the hood and look, follow the cable. You'd probably have to remove the battery to work though.

Name:  kEEXQ5N.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  803.8 KB
Old 02-26-2017
Registered!!

Yeah, I found it by tracing the negative battery cable back to the frame.

I took the ground off, cleaned it up (it looked better than your picture, but I cleaned it up anyway cause ya never know), and it still didn't start.
Old 03-11-2017
Registered!!

Issue turned out to be a bad starter. Once replaced, it fired right up.