Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ignition coil hairline crack. Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crumii is an unknown quantity at this point
Ignition coil hairline crack. Replace?

While putting the coil packs back on after plug replacement, and I heard the top of one of them crack when I was applying pressure to push it down. It's barely visible, but is definitely cracked across the top. Is this a potential problem if I don't replace it? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ignition coil hairline crack. Replace?

If it's only cracked near the bolt hole and it still works ok, it's probably fine for now.

If it misfires and doesn't put spark to the spark plug now, that would be cause for immediate replacement.
Old 02-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crumii is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ignition coil hairline crack. Replace?

Thanks ezone. It's not a crack by the bolt hole. It's across the flat top of the coil pack. It isn't causing any issues at this point, but for peace of mind, I went ahead and ordered a new one. Seems like a worthwhile $40 investment.