Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car won't start 5 times in one week!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JSSNY is an unknown quantity at this point
Car won't start 5 times in one week!!

Hello,

I bought a 2012 Honda Civic in January of 2016. I've had no real problems with it in the last year. In fact, just two weeks ago, it passed inspection. I work as a home-based therapist and my job is based an hour away. So I need to drive one hour to my office each morning and then drive to my client's homes in the evening before driving the hour home, so needless to say, I need my car and drive it regularly.
Last Thursday I was leaving my office for a client's home and I made a quick stop along the way at a gas station for a drink. The car was only off for about 5 minutes and would not restart. Someone was nice enough to jump it for me and I left it running while I was in my client's home. The next morning it started fine, but I brought it to the dealer (not a Honda dealer). He said it was probably the battery, so I bought a used battery and it died almost as soon as it was put it. I swapped it out for another used battery and it started right up and was fine from Friday until Sunday. While I was running errands I turned the car off and again got stuck in a parking lot when the car had only been off for about 30 minutes. Again, someone was nice enough to jump it and on Monday, it died again, so on Tuesday, I took the day off and brought the car back to the dealer. It was dead on Tuesday morning again, and I had to have it jumped in order to bring it to the dealer. I sat there for hours and they said it could be the alternator. I have an extended warranty, which covered replacing the alternator. I got my car back that evening and drove it to work today just fine. The dealer said they had the battery and alternator tests coming back as both fine. This afternoon I left the office and drove to my clients home. Car was turned off for 30 minutes: Dead again. I have had it.

I called the dealership and they said "change the battery, you have a used battery". WTH?! Three batteries in one week and they all just happened to be bad? Changed the alternator, nothing working???? What do I do?

When it dies, which seems to be completely at random, as sometimes it starts with no issue and drives me all the way to work and then drops dead when I try to leave...when I turn the key, the lights o the dash come on and then fade and the car does not even make a sound like it's trying to turn over, just a click and then nothing. As soon as the car is jumped, starts up like it never had a problem.

This is driving me crazy. I am going to take the day off AGAIN tomorrow and bring it directly to a Honda dealer and tell them to give me a rental and not return this car until they have had it at least a few days and it is fixed. Anyone else ever have this issue and if so, what caused it??

Old 01-25-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car won't start 5 times in one week!!

Originally Posted by JSSNY
Hello,

I bought a 2012 Honda Civic in January of 2016.
How many miles on it?

He said it was probably the battery, so I bought a used battery and it died almost as soon as it was put it. I swapped it out for another used battery and it started right up and was fine from Friday until Sunday. While I was running errands I turned the car off and again got stuck in a parking lot when the car had only been off for about 30 minutes. Again, someone was nice enough to jump it
At face value, all this makes me think it is a battery problem....or possibly poor connections at the battery and cables.

More details would be be needed to discern other possibilities such as a starter issue or a large, intermittent drain on the battery.

(IF someone sits in the car and leaves the key turned on but the engine isn't running, that can run down a battery pretty dang quick, sometimes a matter of only minutes)

and they said it could be the alternator.
I have an extended warranty, which covered replacing the alternator.
COULD be? Guessing huh.... I don't see evidence of alternator tests that would support replacement? That could have been quickly tested and proven good. If the car will stay running as long as you leave it running, I'd expect that alternator was doing its job just fine.

Car was turned off for 30 minutes: Dead again. I have had it.
Sounds like it has never acted up for anyone but you.

Sometimes the problem has to act up before anyone can understand what you are talking about, verify it and diagnose it.
Plus, it's gotta stay broken long enough to figure it out.
If it works right whenever anyone looks at it, expect no problem will be found.

I called the dealership and they said "change the battery, you have a used battery". WTH?! Three batteries in one week and they all just happened to be bad? Changed the alternator, nothing working???? What do I do?

When it dies, which seems to be completely at random, as sometimes it starts with no issue and drives me all the way to work and then drops dead when I try to leave...when I turn the key, the lights o the dash come on and then fade and the car does not even make a sound like it's trying to turn over, just a click and then nothing. As soon as the car is jumped, starts up like it never had a problem.

This is driving me crazy. I am going to take the day off AGAIN tomorrow
Still reads like it should be a battery or battery related problem. Corrosion? Loose clamps? Sulfated battery?

Assuming it really is a bad battery.......
How much money did you save by buying the cheaper used batteries?
How much is that cheap battery costing you now? Days off work? Shop fees? Hair loss?

Installing a $100 brand new battery should sound pretty damn cheap about now, yes? (installation extra)

and bring it directly to a Honda dealer and tell them to give me a rental and not return this car until they have had it at least a few days and it is fixed.
Don't expect a rental car for free.

There was a software update for some of the early 2012 Civics (depends on the VIN) for a charging system improvement. Inquire with your Honda dealership about bulletin #12-041. If it needs to be done it will not be free.

Anyone else ever have this issue and if so, what caused it??
I solve problems like yours for a living. Yours sounds fairly easy, if one can gather enough information and/or duplicate the actual problem long enough to do some testing.

My own 2012 Civic got a brand new battery at 3 years of age.
Old 01-26-2017
Registered!!

It has 61,000 miles on it.

But how could all 3 batteries have been bad? The new batteries were $150 and I just did not have it, so I had to buy a used one...But the battery already in it, plus two used ones were all bad??

I don't sit in it with the key turned but the engine not running. I turn the car off and take the key out.

The rental is covered under my warranty, so I've not had to pay for it.
Old 01-26-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

But how could all 3 batteries have been bad?
In our shop, all the used batteries that might be laying around, they were taken out of cars---for a reason. That reason is almost always---- they are bad.

Who sells used batteries?

I don't sit in it with the key turned but the engine not running.
Good. I just threw that out because a lot of people do it, and can't understand why the car won't start after "I was only charging my phone and listening to the radio during lunch break".
Old 01-27-2017
Registered!!

I bought it from advanced auto. My mechanic is telling me battery is testing fine. He thinks there could be an intermittent electric short somewhere.
Old 01-27-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Put a new battery in it. Sure hope you did not pay a lot for a used battery. The reason they are on the used pallet is they are warn out. Lose all that detail except the car and what you did to car. Half the time Autozone's checker is junk and they cannot accurate check a battery that does not have a good charge. That takes 12 hours
Old 01-27-2017
Registered!!

The battery has been hooked up for a day and a half at the mechanics.
Old 01-28-2017
Registered!!

5hamers is an unknown quantity at this point

take advise from ezone change battery and be done with it