Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Noise on Right Turns in 2007 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
geebee2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Noise on Right Turns in 2007 Civic

My 29 year old daughter has a 2007 4 door Civic with about 95k miles. She called me today and said that when she makes a strong right turn, she hears a sound that is like acorns rolling inside the dashboard.

This doesn't happen on a left turn.
This doesn't happen at highway speeds.

I told her to get it checked out, might be a suspension issue.

Any suggestions on what would cause a noise like acorns rolling inside the dash on just a right turn.

Thanks
Old 12-02-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: Noise on Right Turns in 2007 Civic

Bet the brake pads are worn and she is hearing the wear tab when the side thrust kicks it against it slightly. Get her to do the turn and making the noise, lightly apply the brakes. If it goes away, check the pads. All 4 wheels and both sides of all the pads. My Civic did it. It was the back inside pad. The caliper was a little tighter and the floater pins were dry and it had worn it more then the rest.
Old 12-02-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

when she makes a strong right turn
My guess:

Turn the steering wheel all the way til it stops (axle/CV joint angle), then accelerate (load the CV joint) go around and around in a tight circle and you hear "Poppita poppita poppita poppita" crackle/ratcheting noises rapid and repeating (one set of 'poppitas' for every tire revolution) as long as you can hold it in this mode, that's probably a CV joint.

Or...it really is acorns rolling, probably rolling across the wiper cowl area.
I've got a few oak trees and sweet gum trees too close to my driveway....I hate both types LOL.

I told her to get it checked out, might be a suspension issue.
Make sure she demonstrates the problem, in person, to the technician (or advisor). Don't just tell the shop there's a noise and drop off the car. SHOW them the problem. Make it happen. This assures that everyone involved is on the same page, everyone knows exactly which noise she is complaining about.
Old 12-03-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Some times the CV boot is torn usually the out ones. Try slow figure 8's in a parking lot, to test both sides and as a point of comparison.
Old 12-03-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I actually have seen a bunch of noisy CVs (seems like it started in the mid-2000s) even though the boots are in good shape. I really think some just didnt get enough grease from the factory.