Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Change whole wiper blade or just the rubber

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sdraza1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Change whole wiper blade or just the rubber

If wiper blade is not cleaning windshield properly, should we change the whole wiper blade or just it's rubber? thanks
Old 10-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about
Re: Change whole wiper blade or just the rubber

The whole piece that connects to the wiper arm is easiest. Most auto stores have guides to look up which wiper blades you need, usually 2 different sizes on 8th & 9th Gen Civics (16 & 20" if my memory serves me well). Go with a mid grade quality or higher. These usually come with printed instructions.
Old 10-22-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I replaced my ex's wiper blades (08 ex sedan), they were 26"/22" driver/passenger
Old 10-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

My dealer stocks the rubber inserts for most of the cars for the ORIGINAL wiper blade assemblies..

Rubber inserts at $4-10 each can be much cheaper than complete blades from anywhere, and usually work far better than what you can buy at a parts store or Walmart.
Look up correct Honda list prices online first so you know if your dealers prices are right or not.

If you find complete blades elsewhere cheaper than the factory inserts....you get what you pay for.
I've seen a ton of different aftermarket replacements on all sorts of Hondas...I am rarely impressed. Most have at least one big drawback somewhere.
Old 02-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pnamajck is an unknown quantity at this point

s'best to replace just the inserts (rubber refills) … as ezone pointed out, after-market blades don't really grip the windshield all that well. and, now that i learned the factory blades (2015-civic) can actually detach from the arm … it's pretty much a no-brainer. also, keep in mind … your driver's side is a couple inches longer than the passenger unit.

Last edited by pnamajck; 02-18-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-18-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdraza1
If wiper blade is not cleaning windshield properly, should we change the whole wiper blade or just it's rubber? thanks

If You Live in Canada Best place to buy wiper Blades "any size You need" is..?

at Costco". they sell Michelin stealth wiper blades each for $10.00 can't go

wrong there... i bought a set a few months a ago for my 8th gen Civic

and they work great. cheers...!
Old 02-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

After market is garbage. If the metal part of the wiper is not rusty or bent, replace the rubber. I heard the local part dealer tell someone he could only get the whole blade but that is not true. Be sure when you replace just the rubber, be sure you put those metal strips exactly the same. They can be curved or straight. If curved, the can actually be different on each side of car. If yours have been messes with, get the special sheet at your dealer special note book on how they go.
Old 02-18-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Ripsaw i use to use inserts and Honestly they didn't last any Longer than

buying a whole Wiper blade "thats just from my experience" not putting them

down Just saying... You know for $10.00 At Costco i can buy any sized

wiper blade and be done with it. to me it just makes more sense. even if

they Last You a Year big deal. my Local Honda will charge me $10.00 any way

for inserts its NOT worth all the trouble of carefully inserting them and probably

getting a year anyway if You catch my drift.?