Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

2008 Honda Civic Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rajs is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2008 Honda Civic Transmission Issues

Hi Experts;

My 2008 Honda Civic LX (4 Door Sedan) with Automatic Transmission was giving me issues when I make a full stop, The engine does not pickup, rpm goes very high and it feels likes gears are sliping, the car utilmately picks up slowly and then drives fine.

I took it to dealer for diagnosis they are pointing out that their is water in the transmission,and the cause is trans cooler/heater came apart leaking coolant into the transmission

Suggested fix is to replace or rebuilt the transmission, with approx cost around $4100.

Experts I am looking for some advice on below questions:
1) Will this issue could be covered as part of 10 year engine warranty extension? My car has 68100 miles, even dealer was surprised as most honda last for around 200K miles. The engine use to heats up a lot since I brought the car like mentioned in the technical service bulletin, but the dealer is pointing out that there is no crack in the engine.
2) What are my cheapest options to get this fixed as the trade in value of the car is approx $6500, spending $4100 does not make sense.
3) Do u all agree with the diagnostics, based on the symptoms? Or should I get second opinion?

Please advice and guide me, specifically what u would do in this situation ?

TIA
Old 10-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about
Re: 2008 Honda Civic Transmission Issues

Try draining and refilling the transmission fluid, it is likely dirty. Check the level to make sure it is fill, then measure how much comes out so you know approx. how much to put back in. The only way I can think of having water in the transmission is if you car has been in a major flood.
Old 10-14-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2008 Honda Civic Transmission Issues

Not an engine problem at all. No way would it ever be covered by the engine warranty extension.

Trans cooler leak/failure would be the cause of antifreeze entering the transmission. The cooler is bolted to the front of the transmission.
Ever been in a front end accident? Claim on insurance as related to the accident?

Water in the trans can quickly lead to delamination of the friction material from the clutch discs and converter, among other damage. It needs a complete rebuild or replacement.