Air Conditioning Post issues about air conditioning here

Need help with air conditioner problem

Old 10-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help with air conditioner problem

Hey guys,

I am working thru a few issues on a new to me 2010 civic. This problem has to do with the A/C. When I first turn it on it seems to work pretty good, air flow is ok and the air is cold. But then over some time (maybe 15-30 minutes) the air flow begins to decrease to the point it almost stops. Then when I stop the car and park for an extended period of time (or turn the a/c off) I can then turn it back on again and it is back to normal and the air flow is fine and cold air.

It almost seems like it is freezing up somewhere and restricts the air flow. It also leaves a large puddle of water under the car as it seems to thaw.

What should I check first?

Thanks,
Phil

o'shoot....I just realized I posted this in the wrong section....how can I move it???

Last edited by civicphil; 10-10-2016 at 02:50 PM. Reason: posted in wrong section....how can I move it?
Old 10-10-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help with air conditioner problem

Freezing up,

first check if the compressor clutch is stuck on when it should not be running.
Bad or stuck clutch relay is the usual cause, an improved relay is available through dealers.
This issue can also kill the battery overnight or in a couple days, and a compressor stuck on can cause the AC system to burp out excess pressure...a cloud of freon and oil that smells like crap)

Open the fusebox, see if the clutch relay brand is Omron. If so, it's suspect.
If compressor is stuck on when you checked, whack the top of that relay and see if the clutch turns off (that's proof enough to replace it).

Replacing the clutch relay is cheap and easy.
Original failure prone relay brand is OMRON
Updated relay brand is MITSUBA, Honda part number 39794-SDA-A05. Clutch relay location is in engine compartment fuse box, arrow #12 in this image:

If the clutch relay is not stuck on......, then you may have a bad HVAC control panel that won't allow the compressor to cycle off....or a bad evaporator temperature sensor that makes it cycle too cold, below freezing point.
Old 10-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need help with air conditioner problem

Thanks ezone!...I will see what I find.