Electrical Post information/questions/Issues about Electric parts here.

2008 Hybrid - Battery/Alternator??

Old 09-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
samsonstrongest is an unknown quantity at this point
2008 Hybrid - Battery/Alternator??

Hey guys!

I have a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid.....

I have had this car for 9 years and noticed that over the past few years the "hybrid battery" hasn't been as effective. More recently my car has been having problems starting, and sometimes won't start at all. Sometimes it will start up, sometimes it will start after struggling for a few seconds(lights and Navigation blink as it struggles and then my navigation won't be working after it starts), and sometimes my car will struggle and not start. My main battery does read 12V when I put a meter on it. Has anyone else had this problem? Any idea if it is my main battery, my hybrid battery, or my alternator?

Thank you so much for any help and/or insight you might be able to give. It would be very appreciated
Old 09-24-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2008 Hybrid - Battery/Alternator??

First you have NO alternator

Now to the fun stuff. The hybrid HV battery is supposed to handle the starting duties under normal conditions. However, it requires the 12v to handle standby memory retention and to energize the control systems for the HV side of the system. Without the 12v battery the brainbox for HV will not tell the HV side to start the car. In other words both batteries have to be in good working condition.
Old 09-24-2016
cj1
Registered!!

cj1 is an unknown quantity at this point

The past effectiveness of the" hybrid battery" and the recent hard starting sound like separate issues.

If you have no error codes then ICE may just need servicing such as throttle body cleaning/spark plugs/injectors/checking fuel pressure/vacuum leaks.

The engine parameters can be easily check with a scan tool to help pinpoint problem areas.

Assume you are past the hybrid battery warranty?
Old 09-24-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
First you have NO alternator

Now to the fun stuff. The hybrid HV battery is supposed to handle the starting duties under normal conditions. However, it requires the 12v to handle standby memory retention and to energize the control systems for the HV side of the system. Without the 12v battery the brainbox for HV will not tell the HV side to start the car. In other words both batteries have to be in good working condition.
Thank you so much for your quick reply!

Do you think I should try a replacement battery to begin with when it is reading 12V, even though the hybrid HV battery hasn't been working to it's potential the past few years(the gas mileage has gone down considerably)?

Again, thank you for your help!
Old 09-24-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by cj1
The past effectiveness of the" hybrid battery" and the recent hard starting sound like separate issues.

If you have no error codes then ICE may just need servicing such as throttle body cleaning/spark plugs/injectors/checking fuel pressure/vacuum leaks.

The engine parameters can be easily check with a scan tool to help pinpoint problem areas.

Assume you are past the hybrid battery warranty?
Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I am unfortunately past the warranty.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is ICE?

Thanks again!
Old 09-24-2016
cj1
Registered!!

cj1 is an unknown quantity at this point

ICE = internal combustion engine.
If 12v bat is original probably on its way out, likewise the traction battery.

The ICE hard starting problem likely limited to the gas engine.
Old 09-25-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samsonstrongest

Do you think I should try a replacement battery to begin with when it is reading 12V,
I hate tossing hundred dollar bills at a problem without knowing if it will do anything.

The 12v battery can be tested first. It SOUNDS like it is probably shot but I'd test first if I wasn't sure enough to toss $100 bills.

Voltage check alone is not of much value, there is more to it. Can it deliver enough amps to power the many computers, lights, fuel pump, AND the 12v starter all at the same time, while keeping system voltage high enough for all of the computers to operate?.
If voltage drops below about 10v while the starter is cranking (the loud starter, not the hybrid system that made the engine start silently)....that's likely a bad battery.

A draw can run down even a good battery. Another reason to test first.